Sine waves and brush strokes
- Archaeology: Ancient artists' gender is a mystery. // Nature;2/27/2014, Vol. 506 Issue 7489, p410
The article reports on the claim by a team of researchers in the Czech Republic that efforts to infer the sex of ancient hand-painting artists by comparing their prints with those of modern humans could be flawed.
- Mogao Cave Paintings Reimagined. Bee, Susan // Interval(le)s;2009, Issue 4/5, p112
The article presents some paintings and drawings that include collage images of flying angels from the Mogao Caves in Dunhuang, China, the Untitled drawing (2008), the Chinoiserie (2007), and the Hovering Angels (2007).
- THREE ARTISTS. // CutBank;Spring2011, Issue 75, p77
Photographs of several paintings and drawings are presented.
- Integrating Observation & Imagination. Seltzer, Peter // American Artist;Mar2004, Vol. 68 Issue 740, p48
Deals with integrating observation and imagination in pastel painting. Information on developing subject matter; Significance of working from imagination; Factors to consider in integrating observation and imagination in painting.
- NUTS & BOLTS. // American Artist;Nov2004, Vol. 68 Issue 748, p64
Presents paintings and drawings from several artists presented in various exhibitions. "Universalist Church," by Edward Hopper; "Newfields, New Hampshire," by Childe Hassam; "Woman Beside a River," by Alfred Thompson.
- The Intimate Paintings and Drawings of Mark Karnes. Rubenstein, Ephraim // American Artist;Nov2007, Vol. 71 Issue 781, p32
The article discusses the paintings and drawing style of Mark Karnes. The artist has gotten into the habit of making tiny black-and-white ink or watercolor studies of scenes that pique his interest. He finds ink and black watercolor to be tremendously immediate materials. Karnes paints...
- Intertextuality and Visual Poetics. Bryson, Norman // Style;Summer88, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p183
The article presents an insight into the theory of intertextuality and visual poetics. The author notes that in the case of the image, intertextuality is established by dissolving the frame around the work. In the case of the text, interpenetration is established by annulling the point of origin...
- Of Art and Sailing. Bowman, Curtis // Ash Breeze;Winter2013, Vol. 34 Issue 4, p6
The article offers the author's insights about his passion for art and sailing. The author mentions that sailing and drawing are the two things he really enjoy. He shares some things about his early career and how he met his wife, who was the one who encouraged him to do painting. He also talks...
- Picture Perfect, Old Chap. // USA Today Magazine;Jan2008, Vol. 136 Issue 2752, p28
The article reviews the painting and drawing exhibition "British Picturesque Landscapes" through February 24, 2007 at the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.