Sine waves and brush strokes
- Archaeology: Ancient artists' gender is a mystery. // Nature;2/27/2014, Vol. 506 Issue 7489, p410
The article reports on the claim by a team of researchers in the Czech Republic that efforts to infer the sex of ancient hand-painting artists by comparing their prints with those of modern humans could be flawed.
- Mogao Cave Paintings Reimagined. Bee, Susan // Interval(le)s;2009, Issue 4/5, p112
The article presents some paintings and drawings that include collage images of flying angels from the Mogao Caves in Dunhuang, China, the Untitled drawing (2008), the Chinoiserie (2007), and the Hovering Angels (2007).
- NUTS & BOLTS. // American Artist;Nov2004, Vol. 68 Issue 748, p64
Presents paintings and drawings from several artists presented in various exhibitions. "Universalist Church," by Edward Hopper; "Newfields, New Hampshire," by Childe Hassam; "Woman Beside a River," by Alfred Thompson.
- Intertextuality and Visual Poetics. Bryson, Norman // Style;Summer88, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p183
The article presents an insight into the theory of intertextuality and visual poetics. The author notes that in the case of the image, intertextuality is established by dissolving the frame around the work. In the case of the text, interpenetration is established by annulling the point of origin...
- Of Art and Sailing. Bowman, Curtis // Ash Breeze;Winter2013, Vol. 34 Issue 4, p6
The article offers the author's insights about his passion for art and sailing. The author mentions that sailing and drawing are the two things he really enjoy. He shares some things about his early career and how he met his wife, who was the one who encouraged him to do painting. He also talks...
- Suzanne Bocanegra. Wolfe, Julia // Bomb;Spring2004, Issue 87, p8
Describes the artworks of Suzanne Bocanegra. Description of the work as both organized and messy; Focus on how collecting and categorizing objects gives them meaning; Inspiration from a variety of sources from scientific specimens to Scottish tartans.
- Quick Tips. Maggio, Russell S.; Rectanus, Regina; Nodinger, Kay; Morse, Charles L.; Griffin, R. H. // American Artist;Sep1980, Vol. 44 Issue 458, p94
The article offers tips on dealing with everyday painting problems. A piece of wood drilled with holes can serve as a brush holder. An original photo can be "squared up" by making scaled marks on its edges with thread taped over the marks. Gummy residue can be removed from the glass or frames of...
- Untitled. // So's Your Old Lady;Apr1978, Issue 20, p2
The article presents a photograph showing a young couple.
- "Memory Lane.". Newman, Cynthia // Journal of Psychosocial Nursing & Mental Health Services;Jan2003, Vol. 41 Issue 1, p52
The section presents the painting "Memory Lane," by Cynthia Newman. A profile of Newman is included.