They're a High-Growth $9 Bil. Market: Functional Foods
- Health conscious eating can lead to profits. Cvetan, Dana // Dairy Field;Feb98, Vol. 181 Issue 2, p19
Provides information about the nutraceutical market. Reasons why nutraceuticals appeal to a variety of consumers; Overall sales of weight control/protein supplements brands; Why the nutraceutical market is broadening.
- Regulating health claims on food products. Unnevehr, Laurian; Ward, Michael R.; Hasler, Clare // Choices: The Magazine of Food, Farm & Resource Issues;1998 1st Quarter, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p26
Discusses the potential benefits of functional foods. Policy regulating health claims of functional foods; Evaluation of policy decisions in functional foods; Potential of functional foods to improve consumer well-being.
- Functional Foods. Mogelonsky, Marcia // American Demographics;Feb99, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p15
Discusses the benefits of functional foods. Examples of functional foods from various manufacturers; Reason behind the increased interest in functional foods; Details on studies done regarding the awareness of the people on eating healthy foods.
- An uneven playing field. Dickinson, Annette // Dairy Industries International;Aug2001, Vol. 66 Issue 8, p22
Focuses on the potential health claims involving functional foods in the United States. Meaning of functional foods; Types of label claims available for functional foods; Definition of nutritive value; Information on the 1990 Nutrition Labeling and Education Act.
- Foods That Serve You. Chillot, Rick // Men's Health;Jul/Aug99, Vol. 14 Issue 6, p94
Lists problems with functional foods. Difficulty in evaluating functional foods; Insubstantial amount of active ingredients; Misleading research beyond health claims; Other sources of healthy ingredients; Examples of functional foods.
- Nutraceuticals fuel confectionery growth. Vreeland, C. Curtis // Candy Industry;Mar1999, Vol. 164 Issue 3, p29
States the benefits of candy and gums as efficient vehicles for delivering medicinal ingredients. Growth of the functional confectionery industry; List of nutraceuticals in the United States market; Active ingredients in functional confectionery.
- Foods as Medicine. Collins, Richard E. // Total Health;Feb/Mar99, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p24
Talks about functional foods that can be found in the local grocer. Effectiveness of soy isoflavones in lowering cholesterol; Antioxidants, protein alternatives and food additives to bring to one's kitchen; Diet that appears to offer the greatest protection against heart disease.
- Functional FOODS. Flores, Lisa M. // Joe Weider's Muscle & Fitness;Mar99, Vol. 60 Issue 3, p138
Discusses the health benefits of functional foods. List of functional foods; Functions of lycopene, a carotenoid; How several companies are finding ways to incorporate functional ingredients into foods.
- Functional food fights. // Environmental Health Perspectives;Sep1999, Vol. 107 Issue 9, pA446
Presents information on functional foods taken from a report entitled `Functional Foods: Public Health Boon or 21st Century Quackery?' from the Center for Science in the Public Interest. Potential benefits offered by functional foods for public health; Problem with the distinction between food...