At HFM Conference in LA Quinta, Ca: Labor Vital in Prep, Delivery
- Presented at ADA Conference: Healthcare's future lies in better customer svc. today. // FoodService Director;11/15/99, Vol. 12 Issue 11, p20
Presents the views of healthcare consultant Lou Burgess on the survival of health care food service in the United States in an era of downsizing. Overview of her address at the American Dietetic Association Conference in October 1999; Key to satisfaction among family members and patient...
- Help wanted. Stephenson, Susie // Nation's Restaurant News;07/13/98, Vol. 32 Issue 28, OnSite p24
Offers advice for food service operators on recruiting employees. Importance of offering bonuses; Need to focus recruiting efforts; Recruit volunteers already working in the facility; Importance of paying signing bonuses.
- Looking Up: Wake-Up Calls. Schruntek, Walter J. // FoodService Director;04/15/99, Vol. 12 Issue 4, p40
States that holding onto and finding workers will be the overriding challenge and problem for the food service industry in the year 2000. Implications of unchanging labor realities; Suggestion for food automation; How to manage existing staff and operational assets.
- Elliot confab focuses on employee retention. King, Paul // Nation's Restaurant News;05/10/99, Vol. 33 Issue 19, p8
Discusses how foodservice companies can continue to attract and retain employees. Issues raised by a panel of human resources executives at the Elliot Associates' 14th annual Hospitality Conference; Need for firms to provide respect, training and empathy to all employees; Broader view of who...
- Making the work experience more palatable. Elan, Elissa // Nation's Restaurant News;5/16/2005, Vol. 39 Issue 20, p27
This article describes the strategies employed by several U.S. contract foodservice organizations to recruit and retain better workers. The employers are trying methods, some using the Internet to attract such job candidates' attention and to market on-site foodservice as a viable career...
- Fixer Upper. // FoodService Director;12/15/2008, Vol. 21 Issue 12, p39
The article offers advice from Tim Bauman, director of food and nutrition services at Wood County Hospital, about the retention of food service employees. He argues that retention often begins at recruitment. He believes that hiring someone who has an office mindset, may or may not succeed in...
- Sticky Fingers. Plokin, Robert // Cheers;Sep2009, Vol. 20 Issue 7, p40
The article provides information on how to prevent employee bartender theft in bars. According to Bevinco, beverage operators lose 23% of the draft beer and liquor to over-pouring and theft. Michael Waterhouse of consulting company Drink Tank Ltd. believes the first line of defense against theft...
- Amid drought operators tap new labor reservoirs. Berta, Dina // Nation's Restaurant News;03/26/2001, Vol. 35 Issue 13, p4
Reports on the search of United States food service operators for alternative sources of potential employees. Composition of majority of work force entrants; Issues of diversity in the food service industry; Implementation of innovative recruiting practices.
- How to hold on to your best employees. // Food Management;Jun99, Vol. 34 Issue 6, p24
Cites suggestions from key players in the food service industry on how to keep employees happy in their present jobs. Appreciation for employees; Flexible work schedules; Tuition reimbursement programs; Training programs for employees.