As Cafeterias Remodel: Schools serve outdoors
- School Lunches Improving, But More Vegan Meals Needed. // Good Medicine;Fall2008, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p11
The article offers an overview of the 2008 School Lunch Report Card by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine in which school cafeterias in the U.S. were investigated. In the report card, the lunches served in 20 elementary school districts across the country were analyzed by...
- Kids Lend a Hand to Sort Waste for Recycling. // Food Management;May2013, Vol. 48 Issue 5, p12
The article focuses on a foodservice program run by Christa Gowen, foodservice director of the Beeman Elementary School in New Haven, Vermont, in which the school district puts emphasis on healthy eating and motivates the students to help in sorting the waste for recycling.
- Elephans and giraffes stir school cafeteria biz. Blank, Christine // FoodService Director;02/15/98, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p64
Focuses on the cafeteria of the elementary school in Owlsey County, Kentucky, which contains life-size paintings of elephants, giraffes and palm trees on the walls. Indepth look at the design of the cafeteria; Details on the apparel of the foodservice staff; Comments from foodservice director...
- Case Studies. // Linking Farms with Schools: A Guide to Understanding Farm-to-Sch;Mar2004, p15
The article presents case studies of five farm-to-school projects in the U.S. In Iowa, farm-to-school project was achieved by the joint effort of Grown Locally (Grown Only With Nature) and the school food service staff at Decorah Community Schools. A farm-to-school program for two elementary...
- SOUP it up! // FoodService Director;11/15/2002, Vol. 15 Issue 11, p55
Reports on the popularity of soup among meal producers and consumers in the U.S. Variety of soup offered at Fairport Central School in New York; Favorite soup of students; Comments from Steve Myers, executive chef at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.
- District and Hospital Partner to Bring Healthy Foods to Students. // FoodService Director;3/15/2010, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p11
The article discusses the collaboration of the foodservice divisions of Cooperstown Central Schools and Mary Imogene Bassett Hospital in serving healthy lunch menus to students.
- In brief. // Food Management;Dec99, Vol. 34 Issue 12, p12
Presents news items concerning the food service industry in the United States. Includes the popularity of the University of Southern California's catering facility as site for parties and special events; CulinArt's appointment of Tom Eich as president; Orion Food Systems' plan of opening four...
- School foodservice leaders receive FAME awards. // Nation's Restaurant News;01/10/2000, Vol. 34 Issue 2, p58
Reports that school foodservice leaders were chosen as winners in the 11th Annual Foodservice Achievement and Management Excellence Awards.
- TAKIN' IT TO 'EM: New Mex. students grab b'fast. // FoodService Director;6/15/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 6, p6
Reports on the increased breakfast participation at an Albuquerque, New Mexico middle school after the district replaced its traditional service with grab-and-go breakfast carts. Statement from Gabriela Pachecho, district nutrition coordinator of Albuquerque; Information on the breakfast...