The forgotten origins of cannabis prohibition in California
- Holland. // AirGuide Online.com;9/14/2009, p4
The article reports on the recommendations of the Dutch government regarding the tolerant policy on cannabis and the so-called coffee shops in the Netherlands. It states that the Dutch ministers want to maintain the policy, but it should be restricted to tourists. They wrote a memorandum that...
- The Narrow Margins of the Dutch Drug Policy: A Cost-Benefit Analysis. Van Dijk, Jan // European Journal on Criminal Policy & Research;1998, Vol. 6 Issue 3, p369
In order to introduce more structure to the debate it seems worthwhile to make a rough cost-benefit analysis of the probable effects of the Dutch drug policy in various areas. A multi-disciplinary analysis of this nature makes it possible to bring together the arguments put forward by the...
- Medicinal cannabis presents unique issues in managed care. Hodge, Arthur D. // Formulary;Jul2013, Vol. 48 Issue 7, p241
The article examines on the attitude towards medical cannabis in the U.S. medical industry as states begin to legalize its use. Topics include a discussion of the cultural acceptance of medical marijuana use, why many hospitals have a difficult time prescribing a quasi-legal substance that is...
- UK tightens rules on cannabis despite advice not do to so. Dyer, Owen // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);5/17/2008, Vol. 336 Issue 7653, p1095
The article reports on a 2008 decision from the government of Great Britain to reclassify cannabis as a class B drug. The decision, which came four years after the government had decided to downgrade cannabis to a class C drug, was made after a government panel determined that there was a weak...
- Masters of deception. Shaw, B.; Van Biema, D. // People;6/19/89, Vol. 31 Issue 24, p46
Discusses the federal case against Indiana's seemingly upstanding Heilbrunn family, Richard, 38, Paul, 35, and their mother Linda Leary, 59. The US government has filed 53 felony counts against them and charges they ran an estimated 250,000 pounds of hemp through a gang of up to 100. They are...
- The elephant in the room. KENNEDY, PATRICK // Addiction Professional;Jan/Feb2014, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p12
The article offers the author's insights regarding the passage of the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act (MHPAEA) in the U.S., and marijuana and its impact on mental illness and legalization.
- Enter SAM. SABET, KEVIN // Addiction Professional;Jan/Feb2014, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p12
The article offers information on the Smart Approaches to Marijuana (SAM), a group of professionals who advocate an approach that uses health, science, and public safety principles in guiding marijuana policy.
- Uruguay set to legalise cannabis. // New Scientist;8/10/2013, Vol. 219 Issue 2929, p6
The article reports on a decision by Uruguay's government to allow the production, sale, and distribution of the drug plant cannabis and reaction from Uruguay's president JosÃ© Mujica.
- ABC's Reporting on Marijuana, Medicinal Cannabis, Compassionate Use, Legalization, etc. Blumenthal, Mark // HerbalGram;Feb-Apr2013, Issue 97, p8
The article reports on a decision which the American Botanical Council and its journal "HerbalGram" made to increase their coverage of the issue of medicinal marijuana and the legalization of marijuana in the U.S. In the article the author offers his opinions on the legalization of medical...