THROUGH THE WIRE
- Cable's Firing Up More HD, Bandwidth. Spangler, Todd // Multichannel News;6/25/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 26, p29
The article reports on several issues of concern which transpired at the Society of Cable Engineers' "Cable-Tec Expo 2007." Pat Esser required his technical crew to provide shelf space for high definition channels by the end of 2007. Kyle McSlarrow, president and chief executive officer of...
- McSlarrow Brings Energy to the NCTA. // Multichannel News;4/4/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 14, p50
Interviews Kyle McSlarrow, president of the National Cable & Telecommunications Association, on his job. Attitude towards his job; Reason for gravitating towards the cable industry; Response to the indecency challenge.
- What prevents cable TV from taking off in Brazil? Reis // Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media;Summer99, Vol. 43 Issue 3, p399
Probes the reason preventing cable television from taking off in Brazil. Pervasiveness of broadcast television in Brazil; Discussion of telecommunications policies; Overview of Brazilian broadcast TV's programming; Brazilian's reluctance to adopt emerging technologies.
- SAMPLING OF TECH TERMS FROM EMERGING TECH '04. Ellis, Leslie // Multichannel News;1/26/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p36
Discusses technology terms from the 2004 Emerging Technologies conference of the Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers in the U.S. All-digital cable network; Midsplit cable bandwidth; Advanced Television Systems Committee Cable Applications Platform.
- Maximizing revenue opportunity in the metro. Ozveren, Cuneyt // CED;Mar2004, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p46
Focuses on revenue opportunity for cable television operators in fiber optic technology in the U.S. Importance of integrated, intelligent and application-aware architecture; Bandwidth capacity of optical access technologies.
- TCI opens digital compression hub. // Advertising Age;4/11/1994, Vol. 65 Issue 15, p16
The article reports that cable operator Tele-Communications Inc. has opened its National Digital Television Center in the U.S. The center will ensure that the company will be able to distribute more channels as well as interactive onscreen TV program listings. The company spent $100 million in...
- THE BIGGEST DEALS IN CABLE. Patterson, Traci Leann // CED;Dec2008, Vol. 34 Issue 12, p16
The article offers news briefs related to broadband and advertising services, and several cable television industry. J:Com, VidÃ©otron Ltd. and Comcast Corp. have started to utilize DOCSIS 3.0-powered broadband services. Meanwhile, targeted advertisements in television sets have started to...
- Broadband Up 23% in '02 Second Half. // Multichannel News;6/16/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 24, p24
Broadband expansion grew by 23% in the second half of 2002, compared with a 27% growth rate in the first half of 2002. The U.S. Federal Communications Commission said the U.S. had 19.9 million broadband lines serving homes and business at the end of 2002, with cable operators in control of 11.4...
- PIPE DREAMS. Dempsey, John // Variety;4/25/2005, Vol. 398 Issue 10, p1
Focuses on the improvements in the services offered by cable television company Verizon in May 2005. Threats posed by the company to other cable television operators in the U.S.; Agreement between Verizon and DirecTV; Effects of the agreement between the firms on the telecommunication industry...