CableCard Ready -- or Not
- SURVEY: TEXANS LOVE VIDEO CHOICES. Wilson, Carol // Telephony;3/6/2006, Vol. 247 Issue 4, p9
The article reports that competition in video services is having an immediate effect on viewers, according to a survey in three Texas communities where Verizon provides FiOS TV service. The survey also revealed that competition stimulated growth in the overall wireless market because 23 percent...
- A Regulatory Play in Two Acts. Wallsten, Scott // Regulation;Winter2007, Vol. 30 Issue 4, p72
The article presents fictional conversations between cable company executives and chairman of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) about a rule related to the cable industry. It notes that the said rule allows the FCC to strictly regulate the industry once cable penetration passes...
- Ã€ La Carte Confusion. Crupi, Anthony // MediaWeek;6/4/2007, Vol. 17 Issue 23, p8
The article states that the new U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) concept, Ã la carte, confuses consumers instead of benefiting them. The idea allows consumers to choose their own cable television packages. When given a chance to form an example lineup, consumers chose channels at...
- MORE CABLE TV CHOICE FOR ROWLEY, MASS. // RBOC Update;Feb2008, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p3
This article reports that Verizon launched the FiOS TV service to cable television (TV) consumers in Rowley, Massachusetts. FiOS is the only TV service delivered over fiber network directly connecting to millions of individual homes and businesses. Because FiOS TV has more capacity, it is an...
- Cable Ã la carte: Pay per channel. // Consumer Reports;Jun2004, Vol. 69 Issue 6, p61
Asserts that television cable companies are price-gouging and underserving consumers in the U.S. Annual increases of cable television service payments experienced by cable consumers; Suggested solution to the problem; Views of the Consumers Union.
- Dutch lead European cable penetration. // Advertising Age;4/27/1992, Vol. 63 Issue 17, pI-36
The article presents a graph highlighting the percentage of European television households that are subscribing to cable. The graph shows that Netherlands is the number one country in terms of the number of households with cable television subscription.
- More programs, less grammar. // B&T Weekly;10/29/2004, Vol. 54 Issue 2495, p32
Reports on the new schedule for Australia's female-oriented pay television channel W.
- `We Don't Have to Care, We're the Cable Company.' Aufderheide, Pat // Progressive;Jan91, Vol. 55 Issue 1, p28
The article considers care and concern abuses within the U.S. cable industry. Cable looks like a luxury compared with broadcast television, but not to the residents of Madelia, Minnesota, a rural community where the only signals that come in clearly come through cable wires, And not to residents...
- ESPN PLAYS HARDBALL IN FEE DISPUTE. Wu, Nelson H. // Variety;12/9/2002, Vol. 389 Issue 4, p36
Reports that pay television network ESPN has threatened to pull out of the Taiwan market by December 31, 2002 if cable system operators carry out their threat to cut by almost half the fees they pay the network. Dispute between foreign cable networks and the local cable television industry;...