Exploring the IPTV Option
- Vendor Corner:. // CableFAX Daily;7/7/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 130, p2
Reports on the qualification of Motorola's multi-stream CableCARD by CableLabs in 2006. Key features of the CableCARD.
- ADB scores industry 1st. // CED;Jan2010, Vol. 36 Issue 1, p9
The article reports on the demonstration of the Advanced Digital Broadcast (ADB) on the functionality of the Cisco Systems Inc. and Motorola Inc. headends and cablecards at the CableLabs introp event . It mentions that ADB use the Cisco headend and CableCard to display Time Warner Cable's...
- The timely death of the set-top box. Santo, Brian // CED;Jun2008, Vol. 34 Issue 6, p3
The author reflects on obsolescence of the cable tv set-top box in the U.S. He describes that several prerequisites for eliminating set-tops are gradually being fulfilled, among them the widening commercial deployment of STBs with separable security schemes and the growing acceptance of tru2way....
- Motorla Recalls Some 2000s. Brown, Karen // Multichannel News;6/10/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 23, p2
Reports the recall of an unspecified percentage of DCT-2000 digital set-top boxes from Motorola Inc. in the U.S. Identification of access control systems; Mechanical defect in the power-supply circuit within the detachment power plug; Association of the defect to the design of the digital box.
- MSOs could Take Content to the Edge. Bannan, Karen J. // Multichannel News;11/20/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 47, p97
Reports on edge technologies pushed by certain United States companies to enable the delivery of broadcast-quality streaming media directly to cable headends, via content-distribution networks (CDN). Two types of edge technology, CDN and edge service providers; Benefits to cable television...
- Movie rights and wrongs. Higgins, John M. // Broadcasting & Cable;02/07/2000, Vol. 130 Issue 6, p49
Focuses on the increasing adoption of video streaming technology by movie cable television companies in the United States. Popularity of the medium among pay-per-view audiences; Streaming packages and deals entered by companies such as Home Box Office and Showtime.
- Cable execs debate value of jumping into streaming. McAdams, Deborah D.; Kerschbaumer, Ken // Broadcasting & Cable;12/04/2000, Vol. 130 Issue 50, p60
Presents the discussions of United States cable television executives on the benefit of venturing into streaming media. Issues surrounding the emergence of the streaming media technology; Streamers' dependence on broadband distribution from cable operators; Concern over the possibility that...
- CableLabs Seeks 3-D TV Info. Spangler, Todd // Multichannel News;4/13/2009, Vol. 30 Issue 15, p7
The article reports that CableLabs has issued a request for information (RFI) about a three-dimensional (3D) video technology in the U.S. David Broberg of CableLabs said that the company will evaluate different 3D television (TV) systems and will produce a report for its members. As part of the...
- Blended technologies key to fast track. Tokar, Jeff // CED;Mar2000, Vol. 26 Issue 3, p66
Focuses on the advantages that cable operators have over other communications service providers in offering high-speed data services. Emergence of Data-Over-Cable Service Interface Specification-compliant cable modems; Problems to overcome and strategies to adopt in order to maximize its...