- Mac OS X Secrets. Hart, David L. // Macworld;Oct2001, Vol. 18 Issue 10, p76
Discusses the privileges of a superuser or root when using Apple Computer's Mac OS X operating system. Importance of having root access; How to enable one's root account in Mac OS X; Advantages of using the sudo command; How to test the superuser status.
- CYBERLAND. McLean, LeeMichael // Design News;5/7/2001, Vol. 57 Issue 9, p31
Reports on the free trial services for processors and operating systems technologies offered by the Compaq Solutions Alliance company. Microprocessors and operating systems offered on the Web site of the company; Advantages in using the service.
- Overall, XP Is a Winner. Levy, Steven // Newsweek;10/15/2001, Vol. 138 Issue 16, p10
Reviews Microsoft's Windows XP operating system. Stability of the system; Cost; How Microsoft aims to make people rethink the traditional view of computing, by making it an integrated experience; Pros and cons of Windows XP. INSET: Will You Want to Get XP-erienced? Probably..
- Long Live Windows XP. Goldsborough, Reid // Tech Directions;Sep2010, Vol. 70 Issue 2, p14
The article acknowledges the worth of Microsoft Windows XP computer operating system, which remains the personal operating system of choice for many. Even with the release of upgraded versions such as Windows Vista and Windows 7, many users still opt to revert or downgrade to Windows XP when...
- An improved UAC. Vines, Rose // Australian PC User;Apr2010, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p70
The article presents information on user account management in the operating system (OS) Windows 7. It is said that Windows 7 has an improved User Account Control (UAC) in comparison to Windows Vista. During installation, Windows 7 asks to create a single user account which is an administrator...
- Tiger: Ready to Buy? Michaels, Philip // Macworld;Jul2005, Vol. 22 Issue 7, p24
This section presents a graphical representation of percentages of Mac users who were eager to pick up the OS X update, according to a July 2005 survey of 1,894 readers of the magazine Macworld.
- Linux: Not Coming Soon To A Desktop Near You. // Business Communications Review;Oct2005, Vol. 35 Issue 10, p6
The article presents a survey on the demand of Linux-based desktops among enterprise network end users. Surveys of attendees at two 4Q04 Gartner Symposia both project adoption rates of less than 5 percent for Linux client OSs suggested that just over 1 percent of users were running Linux at the...
- New tools help ease migration, monitoring. Fontana, John // Network World;8/13/2001, Vol. 18 Issue 33, p38
Focuses on the migration of Microsoft Windows NT software users to Microsoft Windows 2000 software and Microsoft Active Directory software. Benefit of Active Directory to users; Provision of tools for the addition of remote management over the Web; Importance of Active Directory on electronic...
- Security is what you make of it. // APC (Bauer Media Group);Jun2007, Vol. 27 Issue 6, p18
The author highlights the fact that it is in the end user where the success of a certain operating system lies. He explains that despite having several technology like Windows Vista to help users secure and protect their data, these systems still put the responsibility of securing files back to...