Guangdong faces outages
- 'Tis the blackout season. Luckey, James // International Power Generation;Sep2003, Vol. 26 Issue 5, p3
Comments on the U.S. blackout in August 2003. Documents produced by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers on the weaknesses of the transmission network; Possible reasons for the network failure; Inadequacies in the supply chain.
- Electrical Blackouts: A Systemic Problem. Apt, Jay; Lave, Lester B.; Talukdar, Sarosh; Morgan, M. Granger; Ilic, Marija // Issues in Science & Technology;Summer2004, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p55
Discusses the causes of blackouts in the U.S. Reason behind the August 14, 2003 blackout; Common themes emerging from investigations of the 2003 and earlier blackouts; Voluntary measures to prevent electrical blackouts for much of the past century. INSET: Lessons from air traffic control.
- Italian electricity: calls for protectionism on the rise. // MarketWatch: Energy;November 2003, Vol. 2 Issue 11, p7
Reports on the call for state protectionism to safeguard home markets against power failures in Italy. Origin of the power failure in France and Switzerland which supplies Italy with the bulk of its imported electricity; Dependence of Italy on power imports resulting from environmental...
- Why did blackouts hit worldwide? Whetton, Chris // InTech;Oct2003, Vol. 50 Issue 10, p60
Reports on the causes of blackouts that hit several industrialized countries in August 2003. Human error in a power failure in Helsinki, Finland; Lessons learned from the blackout.
- the technology investment conundrum. McKaig, Lori // Electric Light & Power;Jan/Feb2005, Vol. 83 Issue 1, p60
Discusses the importance of improving power control center and related technologies to provide better situational awareness for the electric operations workforce in the United States. Assessment of the causes of the August 14, 2003, blackout in the northeast; Factors that hampered technology...
- Piebalgs warns of summer blackouts. Wood, Janet // Utility Week;7/20/2007, Vol. 27 Issue 17, p9
The article reports that Energy Commissioner Andris Piebalgs has warned of the risk of blackouts and other power network disturbances in Europe during the summer. Piebalgs told a meeting of the Electricity Cross Border Committee that small scale examples of electricity shortages had already been...
- Power cuts black out western Europe. // Modern Power Systems;Dec2006, Vol. 26 Issue 12, p5
The article reports that a cascading transmission system break down affected large community of Western Europe on Novemver 4, 2006 after a problem in Germany spread to neighboring country. The collapse leaves millions of regions without power. According to the Union for the Coordination of...
- Fingrid says imports must cover shortfall. // Utility Week;12/1/2006, Vol. 26 Issue 12, p11
The article reports on the warning of transmission operator Fingrid that Finland faces the threat of power shortages and other disruptions to supplies over the winter of 2006. It said the risk of blackouts could be significantly reduced by increasing electricity imports and having reserve...
- More Than 400,000 Power Outages Prevented for PPL Customers. // Transmission & Distribution World Exclusive Insight;1/19/2016, p5
The article reports that as a result of its long-term, system-wide investment program and its commitment to delivering reliable electricity for its customers, electric power supplier PPL Electric Utilities has prevented 410,000 Pennsylvania residents from experiencing a power outage in 2015.