Red, White & Brown
- Telecommunications: Subscriber Rates and Competition in the Cable Television Industry: GAO-04-262T. Goldstein, Mark L. // GAO Reports;3/25/2004, p1
In recent years, rates for cable service have increased at a faster pace than the general rate of inflation. GAO agreed to (1) examine the impact of competition on cable rates and service, (2) assess the reliability of information contained in the Federal Communications Commission's (FCC) annual...
- Sky high. Shore, Sandy // Marketing News;9/15/2004, Vol. 38 Issue 15, p52
Examines the competition between satellite and cable television services in the U.S. Advantages of satellite over cable television; Growth in satellite television subscription; Net loss posted by the cable industry in the first half of 2004.
- Role reversal. Learmonth, Michael // Variety;9/27/2004, Vol. 396 Issue 6, pA1
Deals with the growth of satellite television subscription over cable television as of September 2004. Growth posted by Direct TV and EchoStar; Factors that contribute to the increasing trend toward satellite television subscription; Possible actions that must be undertaken by cable companies...
- Getting Back to Basics. Paskowski, Marianne // Multichannel News;8/23/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 34, p44
Offers tips for cable companies on winning the competition against direct broadcast satellite (DBS) providers in the U.S. Number of customers gained by DBS during the second quarter of the year 2004; Kind of programming that cable companies should provide; Information on how programmers can be...
- Al-Jazeera: media pariah or pioneer? Higgins, Jonathan // Satellite Broadband;Apr2002, Vol. 3 Issue 4, p20
Comments on Al-Jazeera, the Arabic television news channel covering the U.S. war on terrorism in Afghanistan. Origins of the news channel; Revenue sources of the channel; Relationship with Cable News Network; Allegations against Al-Jazeera.
- SAT SUBS MORE SATISFIED. Oei, Lily // Daily Variety;8/25/2003, Vol. 280 Issue 37, p8
Focuses on the increase of cable operators' video-on-demand and high speed data offerings to match the growth rate and consumer appeal of DBS rivals. Rate of cable compared to the satellite rates; Consumer satisfaction in satellite services; Criteria of greatest weight for customer satisfaction.
- Consumers rate cable. Paskowski // Multichannel News;12/06/99, Vol. 20 Issue 50, p190
Highlights the results of a survey of buyer satisfaction with cable- and satellite-television service in the United States. Cable subscribers' dissatisfaction with the service; Reaction to the rate increase in January 2000; Digital-cable respondents' satisfaction with Internet connections.
- Analysts: Satellite TV May Be Reaching Peak In Canadian Market. Careless, James // Satellite News;7/17/2006, Vol. 28 Issue 27, p1
Reports on the future of satellite TV in the Canadian market. Comparison of the growth of satellite TV, cable TV and direct-to-home services; Limitations of satellite TV; Plan of Bell Expressvu to make it more competitive against cable.
- DirecTV leads rapid ramp-up of digital channels. Schneider, Michael // Daily Variety;10/30/2007, Vol. 297 Issue 22, pA7
The article reports on United States cable and satellite television broadcasters' expansion of their digital channels. According to the author, DirecTV has initiated the trend by launching 72 national channels to increase its satellite coverage. Meanwhile, EchoStar's Dish Network has opened...