L.A. Joins Suit Against Franchise Rules
- Cities losing cable power. O'Malley, Chris // Indianapolis Business Journal;12/18/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 42, p3
The article reports on the dozen of video providers in Indiana which filed for statewide video franchises. One is Comcast Corp. that sent out letters to people in Indianapolis and other metro-area cities informing them on its discard of local cable franchise agreements. These operators are no...
- Cox Cable and Southwestern Bell join forces for UK franchises. Amdur, Meredith; Flint, Joe // Broadcasting & Cable;3/8/93, Vol. 123 Issue 10, p43
Details the agreement between Cox Cable and Southwestern Bell's UK franchise to develop and acquire cable franchises. The deal was one of the UK cable industry's largest investments to date; Cox's initial 25 percent interest in the cable TV-telephony business; Other partnerships between...
- Cable industry $200,000 blitz kills Cambridge TV franchise bid. // Library Journal;2/1/1984, Vol. 109 Issue 2, p130
Reports that the City of Cambridge, Massachusetts and the Cambridge Public Library have lost a referendum election that would disallow them to take part in the bidding for a cable television franchise. Phone campaign launched by cable industry and the charges made by the campaign against the...
- Learning to play by rules that aren't always fair. Maurer, Mickey // Indianapolis Business Journal;05/01/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 7, p11A
Focuses on lessons learned by the author from competition in the cable television market in Indiana. State law that forbids the granting of exclusive franchises; Author's experience with filing of a grant in cable television in Franfort; Factors that make entrepreneurship exciting.
- Conn. Won't rim Franchises Over Rates. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;2/17/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 7, p16
Reports on the denial of petition from state senators by Connecticut regulators that called for reductions in franchise-renewal spans for cable operators that raise rates in excess of the cost-of-living index and fail to support community programming. Senators that filed the petition; Factors...
- Overbuilds Gain Franchises, Seek Others. Estrella, Joe; Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;09/25/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 39, p8
Reports the franchises gained by several cable companies in the United States. List of franchises signing deals with Digital Access Inc. and Everest Connections; Details on the cable market in several states; Companies focusing on second-tier markets.
- N.J. Pol Wants to Aid Overbuild Efforts. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;9/3/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 36, p8
Reports the drive of Senator Richard Dodey to allow cable competitors to receive better franchise terms over incumbent operators in the U.S. Impact of the move on program providers; Negotiation of regional franchises; Limitations of the franchise proposals.
- L.A. OPERATORS PREVIEW POSITIONS. Figler, Andrea // Cable World (10427228);4/1/2002, Vol. 14 Issue 13, p6
Reports the plans of cable operators in Los Angeles, California to renew the franchise-renewal negotiations in 2002.
- Connecticut overbuild. Foisie, Geoffrey // Broadcasting & Cable;10/11/93, Vol. 123 Issue 41, p18
Reports on the application of FiberVision for additional Connecticut cable television franchises. Competition with TCI, Cabletelevision Systems and Comcast; Overbuild of Connecticut's cable system.