Teenage pregnancy: trends, contributing factors and the physician's role
- 'Tell Me About It' a community-based project to reduce the rate of teen pregnancy in Wagga Wagga. Makin, Jacinta; Butler, Susan // Youth Studies Australia;Sep2001, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p49
Features a community-based project to reduce the high rate of teenage pregnancy in Wagga Wagga district of New South Wales. Method used in delivering effective sex education in schools; Impact of the project on the community; Recommendations of the project.
- A Family Affair. // America;2/12/1983, Vol. 148 Issue 6, p102
The author reflects on the federal funding under Title X of the Public Health Service Act in the U.S. The author stresses that giving contraceptives to minors is a question raised by many regarding the role of the government in family life. The author also clarifies that sex education in schools...
- DECONSTRUCTING THE 'UNPLANNED' PREGNANCY: Social exclusion and sexual health strategies in Scotland. Greene, Saara // Youth & Policy;Winter2002/2003, Issue 82, p27
Argues that sexual health education initiatives and programs promoted by the Scottish Executive have failed to reflect the complexities surrounding teenage pregnancy. Possible effect of exacerbating young mothers' experiences of social exclusion; Manner in which pregnant teenagers and young...
- 'A single petticoat'. Huengsberg, M.; Radcliffe, K.W. // Sexually Transmitted Infections;Oct2002, Vol. 78 Issue 5, p318
Discusses ways to avoid teenage pregnancy. Personal, ethical, economic and social reasons for uptake of safe sexual practices and pregnancy avoidance; Sex education in school; Need to explore the social determinants of unintended pregnancy and unsafe sexual practices in young people.
- THE DUTCH MODEL. Valk, Guus // UNESCO Courier;Jul/Aug2000, Vol. 53 Issue 7/8, p19
Focuses on sex education in the Netherlands. Pregnancy rate in the country; Factors behind the low teenage pregnancy rate.
- Campaigners warn over sex 'phobias'. // Community Care;3/18/2004, Issue 1514, p8
Reports on the increase in the number of teenage pregnancies in areas in Great Britain where the government has tried to reduce it, as of March 2004. Role of sex educators in the incident; Increase in teenage pregnancy rate in Oxfordshire and Cornwall in England.
- So much for graphic, how-to sex education. Hansard, Pat // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;02/16/98, Vol. 25 Issue 9, p25
Focuses on the increased incidence of teen pregnancy in Alberta. Possible impact of sex education in schools; Percentage of pregnancies ended in abortion; Efforts of the Campaign Life Coalition; Proposals for different approaches to sex education; Efforts to present values-free information.
- Pregnancy Prevention in Adolescents. As-Sanie, Sawsan; Gantt, Angela; Rosenthal, Marjorie S. // American Family Physician;10/15/2004, Vol. 70 Issue 8, p1517
Although the pregnancy rate in adolescents has declined steadily in the past 10 years, it remains a major public health problem with lasting repercussions for the teenage mothers, their infants and families, and society as a whole. Successful strategies to prevent adolescent pregnancy include...
- Teen Pregnancy: More Real Than You Think. Swisher, Lindsay // Teen Ink;May2005, Vol. 16 Issue 9, p08
The article provides information on the Teaching Responsibility & Understanding for Sexuality and Teen (T.R.U.S.T.) teen peer education program in the U.S. The project aims to educate teenagers on pregnancy prevention and health relationships. The group understands the relevance of a...