- Pneumococcal Vaccination. Jin, Jill // JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association;2/17/2015, Vol. 313 Issue 7, p758
The article offers information on pneumococcal vaccination as a way to prevent pneumococcal illness and death. Topics discussed include the pneumococcal disease as any infection caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae, severe and life threatening type of pneumococcal disease, people eligible for...
- FINALLY! Babies can get this vaccine. Simmerman, J. Mark; Mauzy, Cheryl L.; Vernarec, Emil // RN;Jul2001, Vol. 64 Issue 7, p28
Deals with the approval of the Prevnar pneumococcal conjugated vaccine for the prevention of invasive pneumococcal infection in infants and toddlers in the United States. Risk of pneumococcal infections in infants and toddlers; Assessment of the value of the vaccine; Vaccine administration and...
- Polysaccharide pneumococcal vaccines. Jefferson, Tom // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);8/10/2002, Vol. 325 Issue 7359, p292
Editorial. Discusses polysaccharide pneumococcal vaccines, which is used to prevent infection with Streptococcus pneumoniae (pneumococcus). Epidemiology of pneumococcal disease; Effectiveness of the vaccines; Possibility that protein conjugate pneumococcal vaccines show clearer effectiveness;...
- Preventing Pneumococcal Disease Among Infants and Young Children. // MMWR: Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report;10/6/2000 Supplement RR-9, Vol. 49 Issue 39, p1
Focuses on a study on the prevention of pneumococcal disease among infants and young children. Discussion on the incidence of invasive disease among children; Information on children who are at an increased risk for pneumococcal infections; Details on pneumococcal conjugate vaccine.
- Preventing Ear Infections. // Pediatrics for Parents;2004, Vol. 21 Issue 9, p4
Cites a study on the role of pneumococcal vaccine in preventing ear infections. Efficacy of the vaccine in managing infections; Evaluation on safety and side-effects following vaccine administration; Comparison on the effect of the vaccine on pneumococcal pneumonia and ear infections.
- Bacteremic Streptococcus pneumoniae in Community-Acquired Pneumonia: An Update. Herrero, Francisco Sanz; Pérez, Tomás Lloret; Olivas, José Blanquer // Current Respiratory Medicine Reviews;2010, Vol. 6 Issue 3, p188
Invasive pneumococcal disease is a major cause of morbimortality worldwide. The presence of bacteremia in pneumococcal pneumonia constitutes an additional factor of worse prognosis, although the highest virulence of invasive pneumococcal infection is clustered in certain serotypes. Antibiotic...
- Third World woes: Vaccine-preventable (and -unpreventable) disease rages. // Contemporary Pediatrics;May2005, Vol. 22 Issue 5, p15
Presents several vaccine-preventable diseases the plague Third World countries. Polio; Invasive pneumococcal disease; Rotavirus infection.
- Pneumonia vaccine: One shot lasts a lifetime. // Aging;1994, Issue 366, p9
Focuses on the pneumococcal vaccine which prevents pneumonia which kills thousands each year. Those likely to have infections.
- Untitled. // Nursing Homes: Long Term Care Management;Oct98, Vol. 47 Issue 10, p50
Presents information on pneumococcal pneumonia. Infections associated with the disease; Guidelines of the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Pneumococcal Drug Resistance: The New 'Special Enemy of Old Age.' Butler, Jay C.; Cetron, Martin S. // Clinical Infectious Diseases;4/1/1999, Vol. 28 Issue 4, p730
Focuses on the importance of efforts to prevent the emergence of pneumococcal drug-resistant strains in the elderly. Background on the emergence of drug-resistant pneumococci; Impact of drug-resistant pneumococcal infections; Prevention of morbidity and death.