Holes Poked in 'A La Carte'
- Does a Lower-Dial Slot Still Matter? Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;7/21/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 29, p20
Focuses on challenges confronting the U.S. cable television industry as of July 2003. Importance of channel placement among television viewers; Findings of a study by Nielsen Media Research on channel placement; Strategies adopted by television networks for favorable channel placement.
- Cable's Summer Slam. Becker, Anne // Broadcasting & Cable;8/22/2005, Vol. 135 Issue 34, p10
Focuses on the market share gains posted by the U.S. basic cable television networks in the summer of 2005. Average viewership ratings of basic cable and broadcast from the beginning of summer through August 15, 2005; Percentage of growth of cable television network Turner's TNT; Total...
- LOOK, UP IN THE SKY, IT'S ANOTHER SUPER DISAPPOINTMENT. Shales, Tom // Television Week;1/10/2005, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p69
Presents an article expressing views on DirecTV Inc. Difficulty faced by customers in registering for the television cable; Deterioration of the system of DirecTV; Refusal to renew the contract of Trio.
- wild card. Merson, Gary // Sound & Vision;Oct2004, Vol. 69 Issue 8, p96
Evaluates the CableCARD, a credit-card-size conditional-access device for cable television viewers. Features; Installation and testing of the card; Benefits.
- The Biography Channel. // Advertising Age;5/19/2003, Vol. 74 Issue 20, pC16
The article presents a profile on cable television network Biography Channel and its programs as of May 2003. The network attracts television viewers who are young, affluent, educated and tech-savvy. It ranks 8th in overall quality among 80 television networks surveyed. Its programs include,...
- Young Men Abandon Big Four. Paskowski, Marianne // Multichannel News;12/08/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 49, p50
Talks about a demography of men who watch broadcasts and pay cable television. Comment on primetime broadcast-network lineup; Discussion on programming; Growth of the number of viewers of ad-supported cable networks.
- It's Only Television. // Broadcasting & Cable;7/7/2003, Vol. 133 Issue 27, p25
Focuses on performance of cable television network Home Box Office (HBO) in broadcasting of television programs. Estimation of viewership for HBO; Lack of commercials between programs broadcast on HBO; Efforts taken by HBO for broadcasting quality television programs; Differences in idea...
- Ratings. // CableFAX Daily;12/28/2005, Vol. 16 Issue 249, p2
Reports on the increase in viewership ratings posted by the N and Noggin cable television channels. Ratings increase of the N among teen viewers; Percentage of increase in ratings of Noggin.
- Cable Television's Impact On Audience for Local News. Webster, James G. // Journalism Quarterly;Summer84, Vol. 61 Issue 2, p419
Focuses on the research which is designed to examine cable's effect on the consumption of local television news. Effect of increased cable competition on broadcasters and the viewing public; Impact of cable television on audience for local news; Consideration of lesser cable audience as grounds...