An acute left-sided hydrothorax
- pleurorrhea. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p1807
A definition of the medical term "pleurorrhea," which refers to effusion of fluid into the pleura, is presented.
- Pleural Effusion from Malignancy. Leff, Alan; Hopewell, Philip C.; Costello, John // Annals of Internal Medicine;Apr78, Vol. 88 Issue 4, p532
Provides information on pleural effusion from metastatic malignancy. Dynamics of pleural-fluid formation; Characteristics of malignant effusion; Diagnosis of metastatic pleural malignancy; Details on the methods of treatment of recurrent effusion; Conclusions and recommendations.
- Unusual Cause of Bilateral Pleural Effusion. GOWRINATH, K.; JYOTHI, P.; RAGHAVENDRA, C. // Journal of Clinical & Diagnostic Research;Jun2015, Vol. 9 Issue 6, p2
An image showing unusual cause of bilateral pleural effusionin in a patient is presented.
- Haemothorax and Thoracic Spine Fractures in the Elderly. Masteller, Michael A.; Chauhan, Aakash; Musunuru, Harsha; Walsh, Mark M.; Boyer, Bryan; Prahlow, Joseph A. // Case Reports in Radiology;2012, p1
Both osteoporotic fractures and pleural effusions are frequently observed in medicine. However, rarely does one associate a hemorrhagic pleural effusion with a thoracic spinal fracture when the patient has not sustained massive trauma. In this paper, we discuss two cases where seemingly...
- Chemical Pleurodesis for Malignant Pleural Effusions. Walker-Renard, Pamela B.; Vaughan, Leigh M.; Sahn, Steven A. // Annals of Internal Medicine;1/1/94, Vol. 120 Issue 1, p56
Purpose: To provide information about available agents for chemical pleurodesis. Data Sources: A MEDLINE search (1966 to October 1992) was conducted using the terms malignant pleural effusion and pleurodesis. Study Selection: All articles containing references to patients with recurrent,...
- Hemorrhagic Pleural Effusion in Patients Undergoing Chronic Hemodialysis. Galen, Malcolm A.; Steinberg, Steven M.; Lowrie, Edmund G.; Lazarus, J. Michael; Hampers, C. L.; Merrill, John P. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Mar75, Vol. 82 Issue 3, p359
Describes patients with significant hemorrhagic pleural effusions that seemed to be attributable to the uremic state. Blood and pleural fluid values at different evaluations; Causes of hemorrhagic pleural effusion; Factors included in the late sequels of uremic pericarditis.
- Diffusion-weighted MR imaging in acute spinal cord ischemia. Fujikawa, Akira; Tsuchiya, Kazuhiro; Takeuchi, Sousuke; Hachiya, Junichi // European Radiology;Nov2004, Vol. 14 Issue 11, p2076
We report diffusion-weighted (DW) MR findings for acute spinal cord ischemia in a 56-year-old patient. MR imaging obtained approximately 3 h after symptom onset demonstrated an area of hyperintensity on DW images, but no conspicuous signal abnormality on T2-weighted images in the conus...
- Use of Calcium Channel Antagonists for the Treatment of Hypertension in the Elderly. Steffen, Hans-Michael // Drugs & Aging;2004, Vol. 21 Issue 9, p565
Systolic blood pressure and pulse pressure increase continuously throughout adult life and the prevalence of arterial hypertension rises accordingly, reaching 53-78% among those aged 65-74 years. Estimates of the prevalence of isolated systolic hypertension in the elderly range from 34-65%, with...
- Two stages of care for pleural effusion. Connor, Patricia; Berg, Pamela; Flaherty, Nancy; Klem, Linda; Lawton, Ramona; Tremblay, Marla // RN;Feb89, Vol. 52 Issue 2, p30
Discusses two stages of palliative care for pleural effusion. Cause and effect of pleural effusion; Signs and symptoms; Diagnostic tests for the disease.