House Dems repudiate Pope's abortion remarks
- Poland liberalizes abortion law. // Christian Century;12/18/96, Vol. 113 Issue 37, p1248
Reports that President Aleksander Kwasniewski of Poland signed a law liberalizing access to abortion. Emphasis on role of conscience over fear of punishment; Contesting of law by the Roman Catholic Church.
- WORLD BRIEFS. // National Catholic Reporter;4/6/2007, Vol. 43 Issue 23, p4
No abstract available.
- Pope meets with German bishops. Malcolm, Teresa // National Catholic Reporter;06/20/97, Vol. 33 Issue 32, p10
Reports on Pope John Paul II's private meeting on May 27, 1997 with Germany's bishops, over a German abortion law.
- Cameroon: Abortion, the Catholic Hierarchy and the Maputo Protocol. Atemnkeng, Elizabeth // Conscience: The News Journal of Catholic Opinion;Summer2009, Vol. 30 Issue 2, p42
This article focuses on the issue regarding the Maputo Protocol and its impact to the Catholic Church's cause against abortion in Cameroon. It mentions the visitation of Pope Benedict XVI to the country and denouncing the use of condoms as HIV transmission prevention. It notes that the country...
- Notes on church-state affairs: Poland. Hendon, David W.; Kennedy, James M. // Journal of Church & State;Spring97, Vol. 39 Issue 2, p385
Reports on the Polish Parliament's approval of a more liberal law on abortion despite objections from the Catholic Church. Allowing of abortion during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy provided there is counseling and a three-day waiting period; Catholic Church's denouncing of the passage of the law.
- EL SALVADOR: CATHOLIC CHURCH CANCELS ABORTION RIGHTS. // Women's International Network News;Spring2000, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p79
Focuses on the efforts of the Catholic Church in El Salvador to convince legislators to pass a legislation that will prohibit abortion without exception. Participation of schoolchildren in anti-choice demonstration; Status of women in El Salvador; Trend by the Catholic church to intervene in...
- Pro Choice Queensland launched. Walker, Angela // Green Left Weekly;8/12/2009, Issue 806, p5
The article offers information on the Pro Choice Queensland organization which aims to support the legalisation of abortion in Cairns, Queensland.
- Abortion in the United States' bible belt: organizing for power and empowerment. Castle, Mary Ann // Reproductive Health;2011, Vol. 8 Issue 1, p1
Over the last 30 years, conservative power in the United States, financed and organized by Christian fundamentalist sects, the Catholic Church, and conservative corporate and political leadership, has become more threatening and potentially destabilizing of progressive democratic principles and...
- Philippines: 'pro-life' equals pro-death. // Off Our Backs;Jun2001, Vol. 31 Issue 6, p4
Reports that the integration of government and Catholicism in the Philippines triggered the escalation of illegal abortion. Prohibition of contraceptives; Self-inflicted abortion.