TO DIE FOR
- Stand Down With Pride. Halton, Bobby // Fire Engineering;Jun2007, Vol. 160 Issue 6, p14
The author reflects on the need to re-evaluate policies and procedures concerning emergency safety. Technology, gear, tools, and equipment will change emergency response. The author describes the four elements of a fire fighters culture; values, institutions, artifacts, and norms. From a fire...
- Heroes of the Flames: Firefighters. Orr, Tamra B. // Career World;Nov/Dec2003, Vol. 32 Issue 3, p14
Discusses the aspects of becoming a firefighter. Skills and traits that firefighters should possess; Minimum qualifications of the profession; Rewards from becoming a firefighter.
- (fireengineering.com). COLEMAN, JOHN F. "SKIP" // Fire Engineering;Sep2013, Vol. 166 Issue 9, p24
The article discusses features of the publication's website including a Webcast on fire extinction equipment maintenance to be presented September 19, 2013, an article on fire fighters health and an article on fire extinction techniques.
- As Decades Change, So Does Teaching. Linstrom, John // Fire Chief;Oct2006, Vol. 50 Issue 10, p30
The article shares the author's insights regarding the changes in the firefighter training in the U.S. from the 1950s onwards. The author cited that throughout the 1950s, fire firefighter training was on the drill about being a fireman. The 1970s has brought, among others, the snorkels and...
- TACTICS: THE LIMITING/ ENHANCING FACTOR FOR STRATEGIC DECISIONS. Brennan, Tom // Fire Engineering;Sep2005, Vol. 158 Issue 9, p134
Presents views and insights on the tactics of limiting or enhancing factor for strategic decisions in fire prevention in the U.S. Thoughts on the changes of tactics and strategies in fire prevention; Assessment of the current tactics by fire fighters in fire prevention.
- All Fired Up. Howard, Lucy; Meadows, Susannah; Gordon, Devin; Begun, Bret // Newsweek;5/15/2000, Vol. 135 Issue 20, p8
Reports on activities undertaken at the FDNY Fire Academy for firefighters. Correct way to slide down a pole; Method of exiting a burning building; Popularity of the firefighting career; Number of heroes.
- Lessons Learned the Hard Way. RIELAGE, ROBERT R. // Fire Chief;Apr2010, Vol. 54 Issue 4, p18
The article highlights the courage and strength shown by the Colerain Township Department of Fire and EMS in Ohio in order to go the extra mile in examining every phase of the Squirrelsnest Lane fire. The author relates his conversation with Colerain's Fire Chief G. Bruce Smith regarding the...
- Tom's Trumpet. Brace, Tom // Minnesota Fire Chief;Nov/Dec2008, Vol. 45 Issue 2, p46
The article presents the author's views on the adoption of the Fire Code in Minnesota. He says that while the Fire Code is adopted at the state level, the reality is that much of the actual code enforcement occurs at the local level. He cites that this is because the level of fire protection...
- hotshot. Sosienki, Shanti // Joe Weider's Muscle & Fitness Hers;Aug2003, Vol. 4 Issue 6, p80
Profiles firefighter Deb Blais. Her professional background; Her views on wildland firefighting; Meal plan of Blais.