Use of Herbs Among Adults Based on Evidence-Based Indications: Findings From the National Health Interview Survey
- Echinacea. Murray, Michael T. // Alive: Canada's Natural Health & Wellness Magazine;Oct2004, Issue 264, p80
Presents the study on the effect of Echinacea purpurea on immune functions. Influence of the ability of a compound to deliver an effective dosage of active compounds on the effectiveness of a herbal product; Role of polysaccharides, alkylamides, and cichoric acid in the immune-enhancing effects...
- Echinacea: No cure for the common cold. // Pharmaceutical Representative;Sep2005, Vol. 35 Issue 9, p15
Suggests that echinacea is not effective in the treatment or prevention of the common cold or its symptoms. Publication of the results of the study in the volume 353, number four issue of "The New England Journal of Medicine".
- N.Y. eyes herbal supplements. Investor's Business Daily // Investors Business Daily;2/4/2015, pA02
The article reports on the testing samples on store-brand herbal supplements such as echinacea and ginseng in the U.S.
- A pharmacist's guide to herbal remedies. Tebbett, Ian R. // Drug Topics;8/6/2007, Vol. 151 Issue 15, p36
The article focuses on concerns regarding the use of medicinal plants. It provides a historical background on the use of plants as medicines, beginning from 3000 BC in China, and the development of the use of natural products or semisynthetic derivatives of naturally occurring compounds in the...
- Top-Selling Medicinal Herbs in the U.S., 1998-2002. // World Almanac & Book of Facts;2004, p97
Presents a list of the top-selling medicinal herbs in the United States from 1998 to 2002. Consideration of the popularity of herbs such as echinacea, garlic, soy, ginseng, and ginkgo biloba.
- Herbal hitman. Dickinson, Ben; Leclerc, Anita // Esquire;Nov97, Vol. 128 Issue 5, p150
Presents information about the herbal medicine Echinacea. Description of the plant; Physiological effect of the herbal medicine; Tips in the uses of the plant.
- Herbs give life to ex-tobacco areas. Povah, Frank // Australian Geographic;Jan-Mar2000, Issue 57, p22
Focuses on the echinacea flowers and other medicinal herbs planted on the Molevale property, a former tobacco plantation in New South Wales. Description of the Molevale property; Details on the tobacco plantation; Significance of the medicinal herb plantation.
- Herbs and Dietary Supplement Use in Patients with Stage 5 Chronic Kidney Disease. Burrowes, Jerrilynn D.; Van Houten, Gloria; Brommage, Deborah // Nephrology Nursing Journal;Jan/Feb2006, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p85
The article presents information on the use and efficacy of herbs and dietary supplements in the nondialysis chronic kidney disease patients in the U.S. Facts about Echinacea, fish oils and garlic, as well as web sites for herbs and alternative medicine, are given. The implication of the...
- Independent Nurse: Clinical - Herbal supplements in the elderly. Huntley, Alyson // GP: General Practitioner;1/26/2007, p98
The article presents information on efficacy of several herbal medicines used by older patients. It is stated that the Echinacea supplements can be used for prevention and treatment of respiratory infections. It is reported that garlic can be used as a herbal supplement that may lead to small...