Use of different diagnostic methods for ventilator-associated pneumonia did not affect mortality or targeted antibiotic use: COMMENTARY
- Update on modalities of mechanical ventilators. Greenough, A. // Archives of Disease in Childhood -- Fetal & Neonatal Edition;Jul2002, Vol. 87 Issue 1, pF3
Recent advances in ventilator technology have often not been confirmed by randomised trials and instead serious shortcomings have been highlighted. Ventilation modes should only be introduced into routine clinical practice when proved efficacious in appropriately designed studies and no adverse...
- Ventilator-associated pneumonia prevention: response to Silvestri et al. Nair, Girish; Niederman, Michael // Intensive Care Medicine;May2015, Vol. 41 Issue 5, p957
A response from the authors of the article "Ventilator-associated pneumonia: present understanding and ongoing debates" is presented.
- Ventilator-associated pneumonia prevention: the issue is the control of oropharyngeal and gut overgrowth. Silvestri, Luciano; Cal, Miguel; Saene, Hendrick // Intensive Care Medicine;May2015, Vol. 41 Issue 5, p954
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "Ventilator-associated pneumonia: present understanding and ongoing debates" by G. B. Nair and M. S. Niederman.
- Ventilator-associated pneumonia prevention by education and two combined bedside strategies. Viana, William Nascimento; Bragazzi, Cristiane; Couto de Castro, José Eduardo; Alves, Mariane Branco; Rocco, José Rodolfo // International Journal for Quality in Health Care;Jul2013, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p308
Objective The objective of the study was to reduce the ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP) incidence rates through a rational prevention program. Design The study was a non-controlled clinical trial with a set of interventions in mechanically ventilated patients from April 2006 until June...
- Treatment of Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia Using Intravenous Colistin Alone or in Combination with Inhaled Colistin in Critically Ill Children. Polat, Meltem; Kara, Soner; Tapısız, Anıl; Tezer, Hasan; Kalkan, Gökhan; Dolgun, Anıl // Pediatric Drugs;Aug2015, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p323
Objective: The objective of this study was to compare the safety and efficacy of inhaled plus intravenous (IV) colistin with that of IV colistin alone in critically ill children with ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP) due to colistin-only susceptible (COS) Gram-negative bacteria (GNB). Study...
- Ventilator Associated Pneumonia and Antibiotics. Miller, Karl E. // American Family Physician;12/15/2002, Vol. 66 Issue 12, p2309
Discusses the research 'Clinical Importance of Delays in the Initiation of Appropriate Antibiotic Treatment for Ventilator-associated Pneumonia,' by M. Iregui et al., from the July 2002 issue of 'Chest.'
- Prevention of Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia: An Evidence-Based Systematic Review. Collard, Harold R.; Saint, Sanjay; Matthay, Michael A. // Annals of Internal Medicine;3/18/2003, Vol. 138 Issue 6, p494
Presents a literature review and synthesis of methods for the prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP). Preventive practices with the strongest supportive evidence; Absence of evidence to support specific methods of enteral feeding or increased frequency of ventilator circuitry changes.
- Preventing ventilator-associated pneumonia: is it ultimately only a matter of gravity? Pneumatikos, Ioannis // Intensive Care Medicine;Apr2012, Vol. 38 Issue 4, p539
An introduction the journal is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the issue on topics including ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP), the influences of gravitational force in tracheal mucus clearance, and the lateral-horizontal position for adult intubated patients.
- Recognition of Nosocomial Pneumonia in the Intensive Care Unit: Still a Confusing Issue. Kollef, Marin H. // Respiratory Care;Aug2011, Vol. 56 Issue 8, p1209
The author reflects on the nosocomial pneumonia recognition in the intensive care unit (ICU). She cites that the meta-analysis by J. Shan, H. L. Chen, and J. H. Zhu found that the clinical pulmonary infection score's (CPIS) diagnostic performance for ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP) was...