DirecTV Eyes Powerline Test
- DirecTV's Carey: Broadband's Overrated. Farrell, Mike // Multichannel News;9/24/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 38, p69
The article highlights DirecTV Chief Executive Officer Chase Carey's views on broadband communications. He claims that while high-speed Internet access is important to media consumers and their computer screens, investors may be underestimating the true value of a compelling video experience on...
- DirecTV Subs Up, Sales Rise In Q4. Smith, Steve // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;2/23/2009, Vol. 24 Issue 5, p53
The article reports on the $5.31 billion revenue of DirecTV in El Segundo, California in the fourth quarter of 2008. The company's net income is $332 million, a 5% drop compared with the same quarter in 2007. Its operating profit dropped to 6% to $579 million compared with the fourth quarter in...
- DirecTV's Double Take. Moss, Linda // Multichannel News;2/27/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 9, p8
Reports on the plans of DirecTV Inc. in February 2006 to deliver video-on-demand services via satellite and Internet. Limitation on the method of on-demand delivery; Information on the company's broadband video-on-demand service; Components of the company's broadband-video library.
- Orbit shifts at DirecTV. Dempsey, John; Fritz, Ben // Daily Variety;3/8/2005, Vol. 286 Issue 50, p1
Reports on the designation of Chase Carey to take more direct control on DirecTV Inc. with the departure of Mitch Stern from the company in the U.S. Move of Appointing Carey to take on the responsibilities of Stern; Career history of Carey; Impact of Stern's departure on the company.
- DirecTV Profit Jumps In Second Quarter. // Satellite Today;8/9/2006, Vol. 5 Issue 144, p1
The article focuses on the financial output of DirecTV for the second quarter of 2006. The company's profits doubled in the 2006 second quarter as revenues improved 10 percent. According to Chase Carey, president and CEO of DirecTV Group Inc., the results in the quarter reflect their strategy to...
- GAME ON FOR DIRECTV. Dempsey, John // Daily Variety;3/5/2007, Vol. 294 Issue 46, p10
The article reports on DirecTV President and CEO Chase Carey's signing of an exclusive deal for out-of-market games with Major League Baseball. Carey responded to criticisms that DirecTV is cheating cable and EchoStar/Dish customers who now subscribe to the out-of-market package, called Extra...
- Town's wireless deemed utility. Mahon, Joe // Fedgazette;Jan2004, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p14
Reports the wireless broadband Internet service set up by Gladstone, Michigan. Monthly subscription rate of the service; Total number of subscribers after five weeks of operation; Cost of the project.
- Virginia municipal integrates EPON, BPL. Vincent, Matt // Lightwave;Nov2005, Vol. 22 Issue 11, p31
The article focuses on the commercial deployment of broadband powerline network technology in Manassas, Virginia. To access broadband Internet services, residents of the city have the option of plugging a modem into an electrical outlet to receive broadband Internet access. While subscriber...
- Striking while the copper is hot. Kopf, David // America's Network;11/15/96, Vol. 100 Issue 22, p34
Focuses on the competition faced by the telecommunications industry of the United States from Internet service providers (ISPs) and cable television operators in providing faster dial-up Internet services and broadband communications systems. Importance of asymmetrical digital subscriber line...