Declining Marriage Ratios of Young Black Women: Testing Alternative Economic Hypotheses
- WHERE ARE THE ELIGIBLE BLACK MEN? // Ebony;Sep1980, Vol. 35 Issue 11, p36
The article disproves the belief that there is a shortage of single and eligible African American men of marrying age in the U.S. Although there is an existing fact that African American women outnumber the men, there is said to be an abundance of very eligible men who are also looking for the...
- Professional women spotlighted at awards. // Las Vegas Business Press;07/05/99, Vol. 16 Issue 26, p9
Announces the Professional Black Women's Alliance' 14th Rose Awards banquet in July 10, 1999 at the Alexis Park Resort in Nevada.
- staying STRONG. Bush, Vanessa; Ulen, Eisa Nefertari // Essence (Time Inc.);
Features five Afro-American couples who have been together 15 years or more with regard to their strong relationship. Marva Williams and Willie Williams; Joyce Branch and George Branch; Ann Grundy and Chester Grundy; Helen Watkins and Gene Watkins; Doris Glaspy and Jay Glaspy.
- THIRTY IMPORTANT BLACK WOMEN BORN BEFORE 1900. // BLACFAX;Mar2006, Vol. 11 Issue 46, p27
A quiz concerning thirty important Black Women is presented.
- BLACK GIRLS ROCK! // Jet;11/15/2010, Vol. 118 Issue 20, p16
The author reports on women of color that were recognized by the nonprofit youth empowerment organization Black Girls Rock! at a concert in New York City, including singer Missy Elliott, actress Raven-SymonÃ©, and actress Keke Palmer.
- Black women most underrepresented in private-sector management. // Jet;11/24/97, Vol. 93 Issue 1, p24
Reports that black women are underrepresented in the private business sector's managerial level jobs, according to a study conducted by Catalyst, a nonprofit research and advisory organization. Statistical data from the study, entitled `Women of Color in Corporate Management: A Statistical...
- Black women's labor market status: Occupational segregation in the United States and Great Britain. King, Mary C. // Review of Black Political Economy;Summer95, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p23
Presents an initial exploration of the comparative labor market situation of black women in the United States and Great Britain. Ethnicity and gender in the American labor market; Ethnicity and gender in the British labor market; Occupational distribution; Measures of occupational segregation.
- 'MAINTAINING A HOME FOR GIRLS': THE IOWA FEDERATION OF COLORED WOMEN'S CLUBS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF IOWA, 1919-1950. Breaux, Richard M. // Journal of African American History;Spring2002, Vol. 87, p236
Examines the campaign of the Iowa Federation of Colored Women's Clubs (IFCWC) to operate a house for Afro-American women at the University of Iowa from 1919 to 1950. Discrimination against Afro-American students in the university; Housing problems experienced by Afro-American students;...
- Relationship Between Condom Use Knowledge and Condom Use Among African-American Women in Harris County, Texas. BRANCH-VITAL, ANGELA; HALE, WILLIAM; MASON, EDWARD // Western Journal of Black Studies;Spring2009, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p16
The objective of this study was to determine the association between condom use knowledge and self-reported condom use at last intercourse among African-American women (= 18 years of age) in Harris County, Texas. The Condom Use Assessment Questionnaire was administered to 297 African-American...