Most organs of sugar-beet ( Beta vulgaris L.) plants at the vegetative and reproductive stages of development are polysomatic
- Segregation distortion in Arabidopsis gametophytic factor 1 ( gfa1) mutants is caused by a deficiency of an essential RNA splicing factor. Coury, Daniel A.; Changqing Zhang; Ko, Ara; Skaggs, Megan I.; Christensen, Cory A.; Drews, Gary N.; Feldmann, Kenneth A.; Yadegari, Ramin // Sexual Plant Reproduction;Jun2007, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p87
The female and male gametophytes are critical components of the angiosperm life cycle and are essential for the reproductive process. The gametophytes share many essential cellular processes with each other and with the sporophyte generation. As a consequence, these processes can only be...
- EFFECT OF PLANTING GEOMETRY AND FERTILITY LEVEL ON GROWTH AND SEED YIELD OF CLUSTER BEAN [CYAMOPSIS TETRAGONOLOBA (L)] UNDER SCARCE RAINFALL ZONE OF ANDHRA PRADESH. Reddy, A. Malliswara; Reddy, B. Sahadeva // Legume Research: An International Journal;Jun2011, Vol. 34 Issue 2, p143
A field experiment was conducted during kharif, 2007 to find out the effect of planting geometry and fertility level on seed yield of clusterbean. From the study it was found that, planting pattern of 45 x 10 cm recorded higher plant height and number of branches per plant, however, it was...
- Epigenetic variation of the choriflowered-symflowered character in the symflowered sugar beet line SOAN-14. Yudanova, S.; Maletskaya, E.; Maletskii, S. // Russian Journal of Genetics;Jul2012, Vol. 48 Issue 7, p698
The effect of 5-azacytidine on the variation of the choriflowered (CF)-symflowered (SF) character in sugar beet was studied in several generations obtained via seed reproduction. The epimutagen (5-azacytidine) significantly reduced the number of flowers in glomerate inflorescences in the year of...
- Heterochronic development of the floret meristem determines grain number per spikelet in diploid, tetraploid and hexaploid wheats. Naoki Shitsukawa; Hiroko Kinjo; Shigeo Takumi; Koji Murai // Annals of Botany;Aug2009, Vol. 104 Issue 2, p243
Background and Aims The inflorescence of grass species such as wheat, rice and maize consists of a unique reproductive structure called the spikelet, which is comprised of one, a few, or several florets (individual flowers). When reproductive growth is initiated, the inflorescence meristem...
- Nature's Superabundance. Bailey, William Whitman // Education;Jun1907, Vol. 27 Issue 10, p612
The article presents information on the growth process of the fruit of the elm plant. The seeds of elms blow at every open window and enter in some way by every chink and crack. These little seeds or fruits are endowed with intense vitality. If they get usual amount of rain for ten days or less,...
- Re-interpreting the role of endo-ï¿½-mannanases as mannan endotransglycosylase/hydrolases in the plant cell wall. Roswitha Schr�der; Ross G. Atkinson; Robert J. Redgwell // Annals of Botany;Aug2009, Vol. 104 Issue 2, p197
Background Mannans are hemicellulosic polysaccharides in the plant primary cell wall with two major physiological roles: as storage polysaccharides that provide energy for the growing seedling; and as structural components of the hemicelluloseï¿½cellulose network with a similar function to...
- Bald beets sweet news to sugar industry. Lyons-Johnson, Dawn // Agricultural Research;Mar1997, Vol. 45 Issue 3, p17
Reports on the development of a germplasm type of sugar beet, Beta vulgaris L., that has a smoother root system than standard beet varieties. Uses of the sugar beets; Description of conventional sugar beets; Benefits from harvesting sugar beets with less soil clinging to them.
- There's more to variety choice than yield alone. Symington, Hugh; Abel, Charles // Farmers Weekly;5/24/2002, Vol. 136 Issue 21, p68
Offers advice for sugar beet growers in Great Britain on choosing seed varieties. Impact of seed quality on performance; Advantage of varieties with low amino N in the juice; List of recommended sugar beet varieties for 2003.
- Lots more choice for the same price. Spackman, Paul // Crops;5/31/2008, p22
The article presents a list of sugar beet 2009 varieties which includes Carissima (Rh) KWS, Mandella KWS and Trinita Syngenta.