Plastics researcher seek commercial partners
- TRASH EATERS. Allen, Laura // Popular Science;Jun2006, Vol. 268 Issue 6, p36
The article provides information on a technique for recycling Styrofoam proposed by microbiologist Kevin O'Connor of the University College Dublin in Ireland and his colleagues. The technique includes the use of a soil bacterium known as Pseudomonas putida that has the ability to metabolize the...
- phoÂ·toÂ·deÂ·gradÂ·aÂ·ble. // American Heritage Student Science Dictionary;2009, p264
The article presents an encyclopedia definition for the term "photodegradable," which refers to the capability of a material of being chemically decomposed by light. Photodegradable plastic becomes brittle and breaks into pieces when exposed to sunlight, helping reduce litter and environmental...
- Are Biodegradable Plastics a Hoax? Luoma, Jon R. // Audubon;Mar1990, Vol. 92 Issue 2, p92
Focuses on the development of biodegradable plastics and its indications for garbage management. Pros and cons to the use of biodegradable plastics; Components and properties of the biodegradable plastic; Evidence that biodegradable plastics are not biodegradable at all; Details of several...
- Biodegradable polymers; Part II. Thermal degradation of biodegradable plastics cross-linked from formaldehyde-soy protein concentrate. Swain, S.; Rao, K.; Nayak, P. // Journal of Thermal Analysis & Calorimetry;Jan2005, Vol. 79 Issue 1, p33
Soy protein concentrate, a biodegradable renewable resource agricultural biopolymer, has been cross-linked with formaldehyde for better processing material. Thermogravimetric analysis of the biopolymer has been followed using a computer analysis method, Lotus package, developed by us for...
- Does biodegradable mean environmentally healthy? // Alive: Canada's Natural Health & Wellness Magazine;Aug2004, Issue 262, p22
Explores the process of biodegradation. Definition of biodegradation; Types of objects that cannot be broken down by micro-organisms; Comparison of the properties of degradable, biodegradable and compostable plastic; Factors to consider to determine the benefits of biodegradable substances for...
- Critical Review of Norms and Standards for Biodegradable Agricultural Plastics Part II: Composting. Briassoulis, Demetres; Dejean, Cyril; Picuno, Pietro // Journal of Polymers & the Environment;Sep2010, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p364
The critical review of norms and standards and corresponding tests to determine the compostability of biodegradable plastics, possibly applicable also to biodegradable agricultural plastics, shows that many norms concerning testing and labelling of compostable plastics have been established at...
- Research explores bioplastic for crop containers. // Greenhouse Management;Nov2013, Vol. 33 Issue 11, p9
The article focuses on a research program planned by the Iowa State with an aim of analyzing the efficacy of sustainable bioplastic containers in commercial uses.
- Cyber seers. // Adweek Eastern Edition;5/5/1997 Supplement, Vol. 38, p70
Presents a quotation from Kevin O'Connor, chief executive officer of DoubleClick Inc., concerning the advantages of using the Internet.
- A few words from the editor. Maureen // Irish Roots;2013, Issue 87, p3
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the issue on topics including Irish genealogy, the genealogy course being offered at the University College Dublin, and the Irish ancestral research.