ESPN, the Self-Service Island
- New context. Consoli, John // Adweek Eastern Edition;5/29/2000, Vol. 41 Issue 22, pU10
Reports that nightly newscasts remain a draw for many advertisers in the United States, despite smaller audiences. Reasons why nightly news broadcasts remain attractive for many advertisers; Two big advertising categories on the nightly news; Top television news programs in the country. INSET:...
- Local touch wins advertisers, but national $$ still spare. Peterson, Kyle // Advertising Age;4/12/1999, Vol. 70 Issue 16, ps24
This article deals with the evolution of local all-news cable channels as of April 1999. In about 30 markets across the U.S., cable subscribers can get CNN-style local news coverage. And despite its saturation in local trivia and heavy reliance on recycled news events, the local cable news...
- BRIEFLY NOTED. // Electronic Media;01/01/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p3
Presents a round-up of news about the television industry in the United States as of January 2001. Industry contributions to the 2000 elections; News wars in Houston, Texas; Local broadcast ad sales during the first three quarters of 2000; Cablevision Systems.
- BUSH, GORE USURP THE FINAL ANSWER. Bernstein, Paula // Variety;12/04/2000, Vol. 381 Issue 3, p17
Comments on the financial implications of news interruptions and the preempting of top-rated television programs in the United States to provide news coverage to the public. Amount of revenue lost in news interruptions; Ratings of news programs from the NBC and CBS networks; Views on the news...
- News is the news at local TV stations. Block, Valerie // Crain's New York Business;10/7/2002, Vol. 18 Issue 40, p3
Reports the growth of advertising rate in local television stations in New York City. Addition of Fox-5's of news programs to its schedule; Overall revenue gained from local news; Reason of stations for charging higher rates for news spots.
- Portland, Maine. Wang, Karissa S. // Electronic Media;12/18/2000, Vol. 19 Issue 51, p16
Presents an overview of television advertising industry in Portland, Maine. Popularity of news as a venue for advertisers; Major advertising categories; Projected television revenues of the city in 2000.
- Milwaukee, Wis. Wang, Karissa S. // Electronic Media;01/03/2000, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p16
Focuses on the television advertising market in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, as of January 3, 2000. Television stations' advertising revenue from their news programs.
- CABLE NEWS AD FREE. Bernstein, Paula // Daily Variety;9/17/2001, Vol. 273 Issue 11, p4
Reports the plans of cable news networks air news without advertisements in New York. Changes in the programming of the networks; Amount lost by the networks due to news coverage without advertisements; Disadvantages of commercial-free move to the industry.
- Economic optimism in Charm City. Miller, Mark K. // Broadcasting & Cable;05/21/2001, Vol. 131 Issue 22, p25
Reports on the economic status of television stations in Baltimore, Maryland, as of May 2001. Ratings gained by early morning news programs; Competition between television stations WJZ and WBAL; Advertising spending of automobile manufacturers.