From the Ground Up
- Validating DoD. Fickes, Michael // Government Security;May2005, Vol. 4 Issue 4, p16
Reports on the United States Department of Defense's (DoD) selection of CoreStreet, and Tumbleweed Communications Corp. to provide technology to validate digital certificates issued in the public key infrastructure (PKI) component of the DoD's Identity Protection and Management Program, which...
- DoD Gets CAC Smart. // Security: Solutions for Enterprise Security Leaders;Jul2005, Vol. 42 Issue 7, p26D
Focuses on the U.S. Department of Defense's (DoD) issuance of its one millionth smart card-based Common Access Card (CAC), a military identification badge that enables building and site access. Agency's use of identity management from ActivCard as well as secure card applets to initialize,...
- Pentagon Establishes Minimum Standards For DoD Physical Access Control. Biesecker, Calvin // Defense Daily;3/26/2010, Vol. 245 Issue 57, p7
The article focuses on the establishment of the Directive Type Memorandum (DTM), a minimum security standards for physical access control (PAC) of the U.S. Defense Department facilities and installations. It says that the DTM allows automated systems to gain access which could entail an...
- Being smart-card wiser. Brandewie, Robert // eWeek;10/9/2006, Vol. 23 Issue 40, pG5
The article focuses on the implementation of credential and identity program by the Department of Defense (DOD) in the U.S. The program has provided citizens a new identification card called the Common Access Card. The card contains identity information and public key infrastructure sets and 32...
- SECURITY AND DATA MINING. McCarthy, Jack // InfoWorld;6/2/2003, Vol. 25 Issue 22, p48
Discusses the development of security and data mining technology at the U.S. Department of Defense. Details of the Common Access Card project of the Defense Department; Features of the smart military identification cards; Information on the Terrorism Information Awareness project of the...
- NGIC: Penetrating the Fog of War. O'Connell, Robert // Military Intelligence Professional Bulletin;Apr-Jun2002, Vol. 28 Issue 2, p14
Focuses on the National Ground Intelligence Center (NGIC) of the U.S. Department of Defense located in Charlottesville, Virginia. Mission of NGIC; Roles of the main production directories of NGIC; Priorities of NGIC after the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.
- Posse Comitatus and Nuclear Terrorism. Quillen, Chris // Parameters: U.S. Army War College;Spring2002, Vol. 32 Issue 1, p60
Examines the role of the U.S. Department of Defense in countering domestic terrorism. Treatment of the department on the limitations placed by the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878; Use of the threat of nuclear terror; Involvement of the military in traditional law enforcement.
- There Are Gates, And There are GATES. // Security: Solutions for Enterprise Security Leaders;Nov2005, Vol. 42 Issue 11, p38
Focuses on the installation of barrier system in a historic military facility in Hawaii. Primary objective of the equipment; Systems' security against terrorists while ensuring assets; Other access control systems.
- Be prepared: Tackle terrorism threats by taking action now. Aronson, Mort // Hotel & Motel Management;1/9/2006, Vol. 221 Issue 1, p14
The article provides tips for hoteliers on how to handle appropriate measures against terrorism in the U.S. Indeed, the U.S. Department of Defense has warned the hotel industry that it is a prime target for terrorism. In preparation for a possible terrorist attack, it is advisable to provide, in...