Sleep and aging: 1. Sleep disorders commonly found in older people
- Sleep, health, and aging. Kryger, Meir; Monjan, Andrew; Bliwise, Donald; Ancoli-Israel, Sonia // Geriatrics;Jan2004, Vol. 59 Issue 1, p24
Discusses the relationship between sleep problems and health among the aged. Insomnia affecting a third of the older population in the U.S.; Effects of the inability to have restful sleep; Other factors associated with aging.
- On 'Polysomnography reveals unexpectedly high rates of organic sleep disorders in patients with prediagnosed primary insomnia' (Sleep Breath 2011 doi 10.1007/s11325-011-0608-8). Ferri, Raffaele; Gschliesser, Viola; Frauscher, Birgit; Poewe, Werner; Högl, Birgit // Sleep & Breathing;Mar2013, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p1
A letter to the editor is presented about the article "Polysomnography Reveals Unexpectedly High Rates of Organic Sleep Disorders in Patients With Prediagnosed Primary Insomnia" that was published in a previous issue.
- Sleep disorders in the elderly. Subramanian, Shyam; Surani, Salim // Geriatrics;Dec2007, Vol. 62 Issue 12, p10
Sleep disorders are common but frequently underdiagnosed in the elderly. Aggressive screening and appropriate therapy can significantly improve general health and well-being. Treating sleep disorders in the elderly requires appreciation of the physiologic changes of aging. Insomnia is common and...
- Sleep in the older adult. Maher, Sharon // Nursing Older People;Dec2004, Vol. 16 Issue 9, p30
Sleep problems tend to increase with age, so much so that insomnia can become entwined with other health issues among older people. This article looks at causes of sleep problems and explains how nurses can help assess their severity
- Periodic limb movements and insomnia, a common but under-recognized association. Varadharajulu, Saravanan; Chandrasekaran, Baskaran // Indian Journal of Psychiatry;Apr-Jun2015, Vol. 57 Issue 2, p205
Periodic limb movements unlike restless leg syndrome is under diagnosed and unrecognized in medical arena. While robust Western trials have elucidated the association between periodic limb movements and sleep disturbances, it is not well received and recognized in India even in well...
- Evaluating the effects of medical disorders on sleep in the older patient. Quan, Stuart F.; Zee, Phyllis // Geriatrics;Mar2004, Vol. 59 Issue 3, p37
Evaluates the effects of medical disorders in sleep in the older patient. Sleep disturbances; Effects of aging; Medical or psychiatric illnesses; Insomnia.
- Non-pharmacological management of primary and secondary insomnia among older people: review of assessment tools and treatments. Petit, Lyndal; Azad, Nahid; Byszewski, Anna; Sarazan, Francine F.-A.; Power, Barbara // Age & Ageing;Jan2003, Vol. 32 Issue 1, p19
Reviews published studies of assessment tools and treatments for primary and secondary insomnia among older people. Examples of non-pharmacological treatments for insomnia; Information on insomnia; Changes in the sleep patterns of the aged; Recommended sleep pattern for older people.
- Sleep and aging: 2. Management of sleep disorders in older people. Wolkove, Norman; Elkholy, Osama; Baltzan, Marc; Palayew, Mark // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;5/8/2007, Vol. 176 Issue 10, p1449
The treatment of sleep-related illness in older patients must be undertaken with an appreciation of the physiologic changes associated with aging. Insomnia is common among older people. When it occurs secondary to another medical condition, treatment of the underlying disorder is imperative....
- Sleep Complaints in the Geriatric Patient. Mahowald, Mark W.; Bornemann, Michel A. Cramer // Minnesota Medicine;Oct2007, Vol. 90 Issue 10, p45
Difficulty sleeping is a frequent complaint of elderly patients. But poor sleep is not a normal part of aging. This article discusses the most common sleep problem among older adults-insomnia, its causes, and potential treatments including over-the-counter and prescription medications and...