Highlights of this issue
- Who's to choose? Moreno, Jonathan D. // Hastings Center Report;Jan/Feb93, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p5
Focuses on the recommendations concerning surrogate decisionmaking as contained in the New York State Task Force on Life and the Law's report entitled, `When Others Must Choose'. Determining incapacity; Identifying the surrogate; Surrogate decisions; Children and newborns; Bioethics review...
- Horton hatches the egg. Capron, Alexander Morga // Hastings Center Report;Sep/Oct95, Vol. 25 Issue 5, p30
Discusses the issue of gestational surrogacy. `Soos v. Ballas' case; Arizona Supreme Court's decision on the Soos case.
- Gestational surrogacy and the meaning of `mother': Johnson v. Calvert, 8511 P.2d 776 (Cal. 1993). Place, Jeffrey M. // Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy;Summer94, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p907
Presents an analysis of the California Supreme Court's ruling on gestational surrogacy in the case `Johnson v. Calvert.' Errors in the application of the Uniform Parentage Act; Details of the case; Granting of parental rights to the intended parents.
- Book reviews. Francis, Leslie Pickerin // National Forum;Winter93, Vol. 73 Issue 1, p47
Reviews the New York State Task Force on Life and the Law's report `When Others Must Choose: Deciding for Patients Without Capacity.'
- Israel legalises surrogate motherhood. Siegel-Itzkovich, Judy // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);3/23/96, Vol. 312 Issue 7033, p729
Reports that a bill legalizing surrogate motherhood and setting down strict controls and limitations has been passed by Israel's parliament. Provisions of the new legislation; Advocates of the law; Opposition on the passage of the law.
- This womb for hire? Mittwoch, Ursula // New Scientist;06/28/97, Vol. 154 Issue 2088, p46
Looks at the issue of surrogate motherhood from an ethical perspective. Payment received by surrogate mothers for their services; Surrogacy as exploitation of the surrogate mother; Need for properly drafted contracts with a clause preventing either side of the surrogacy relation from talking to...
- All in the family. Griffin, Katherine // Health (Time Inc. Health);Jan/Feb94, Vol. 8 Issue 1, p42
Presents the story behind the birth of Harrison Spelman. Efforts of Florence Buchanan and Steve Spelman to have a baby; Surrogacy of Steve's sister Anne Barnet; Accounts from Anne and Florence of the pregnancy.
- Defending commercial surrogate motherhood against Van Niekerk and Van Zyl. McLachlan, Hugh V. // Journal of Medical Ethics;Dec97, Vol. 23 Issue 6, p344
Presents a response to an article written by authors Van Niekerk and Van Zyl on commercial surrogate motherhood. Criticism of their views; Suggestion that commercial surrogate motherhood is immoral and illegal; Reference made to the ten commandments; Conclusions reached.
- Israeli court paves way for surrogacy. Siegel-Itzkovich, Judy // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);8/5/95, Vol. 311 Issue 7001, p348
Reports on Israel's High Court of Justice's overturning of a 1987 law that bars surrogate motherhood. Features of the law; Reason for the decision; Background on the dispute concerning the law.