Highlights of this issue
- Who's to choose? Moreno, Jonathan D. // Hastings Center Report;Jan/Feb93, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p5
Focuses on the recommendations concerning surrogate decisionmaking as contained in the New York State Task Force on Life and the Law's report entitled, `When Others Must Choose'. Determining incapacity; Identifying the surrogate; Surrogate decisions; Children and newborns; Bioethics review...
- Horton hatches the egg. Capron, Alexander Morga // Hastings Center Report;Sep/Oct95, Vol. 25 Issue 5, p30
Discusses the issue of gestational surrogacy. `Soos v. Ballas' case; Arizona Supreme Court's decision on the Soos case.
- Gestational surrogacy and the meaning of `mother': Johnson v. Calvert, 8511 P.2d 776 (Cal. 1993). Place, Jeffrey M. // Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy;Summer94, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p907
Presents an analysis of the California Supreme Court's ruling on gestational surrogacy in the case `Johnson v. Calvert.' Errors in the application of the Uniform Parentage Act; Details of the case; Granting of parental rights to the intended parents.
- Book reviews. Francis, Leslie Pickerin // National Forum;Winter93, Vol. 73 Issue 1, p47
Reviews the New York State Task Force on Life and the Law's report `When Others Must Choose: Deciding for Patients Without Capacity.'
- Israel legalises surrogate motherhood. Siegel-Itzkovich, Judy // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);3/23/96, Vol. 312 Issue 7033, p729
Reports that a bill legalizing surrogate motherhood and setting down strict controls and limitations has been passed by Israel's parliament. Provisions of the new legislation; Advocates of the law; Opposition on the passage of the law.
- This womb for hire? Mittwoch, Ursula // New Scientist;06/28/97, Vol. 154 Issue 2088, p46
Looks at the issue of surrogate motherhood from an ethical perspective. Payment received by surrogate mothers for their services; Surrogacy as exploitation of the surrogate mother; Need for properly drafted contracts with a clause preventing either side of the surrogacy relation from talking to...
- All in the family. Griffin, Katherine // Health (Time Inc. Health);Jan/Feb94, Vol. 8 Issue 1, p42
Presents the story behind the birth of Harrison Spelman. Efforts of Florence Buchanan and Steve Spelman to have a baby; Surrogacy of Steve's sister Anne Barnet; Accounts from Anne and Florence of the pregnancy.
- Defending commercial surrogate motherhood against Van Niekerk and Van Zyl. McLachlan, Hugh V.; McLachlan, H V // Journal of Medical Ethics;Dec97, Vol. 23 Issue 6, p344
The arguments of Van Niekerk and Van Zyl that, on the grounds that it involves an inappropriate commodification and alienation of women's labour, commercial surrogate motherhood (CSM) is morally suspect are discussed and considered to be defective. In addition, doubt is cast on the notion that...
- Israeli court paves way for surrogacy. Siegel-Itzkovich, Judy // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);8/5/95, Vol. 311 Issue 7001, p348
Reports on Israel's High Court of Justice's overturning of a 1987 law that bars surrogate motherhood. Features of the law; Reason for the decision; Background on the dispute concerning the law.