NOT SO HIGH ON HIGH DEFINITION
- Raising the HD Bar: BOTTOM LINE. // Communications Technology;Jan2009, Vol. 26 Issue 1, p17
The article reports that the growth of high definition (HD) television and its accelerating adoption is reshaping the cable/telecommunication/satellite competitive environment in the U.S. Its quality of service paradigm and customer expectations are also improving. Driven by the promise to...
- Audience appeal. // Total Telecom Magazine;Feb2006 Supplement, p9
The article reports on the emergence of France as a leader in the uptake of television over digital subscriber lines. By the end of 2005, Free claimed 159,000 subscribers to its pay-television services, and France Telecom claims 180,000 subscribers. They plan to add high-definition television...
- What's on HDTV. Wilcox, James K. // Sound & Vision;Nov2005, Vol. 70 Issue 9, p86
This article provides information on several high-definition television channels in the U.S. offered by cable television companies, broadcast-related Web resources and satellite receivers.
- HDTV-a-Go-Go. // Communications Technology;Jun2003, Vol. 20 Issue 6, p8
Presents opinion on the development of high-definition television (HDTV). Problems on the HDTV development; Need for reasonably priced consumer devices; Competition via the direct broadcast satellite operations.
- The couch potato conundrum. Elkin, Tobi // Brandweek;06/29/98, Vol. 39 Issue 26, p26
Examines the next generation of entertainment technology in the United States. Description of Direct Broadcast Satellite's (DBS) digital television service; Statistics on satellite TV services; Impact of the Digital Satellite System; Advantages of DBS over cable TV; Association of DBS with...
- FOR THE RECORD. // Multichannel News;7/11/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 28, p57
Presents news briefs related to the cable TV industry in the U.S. as of July 11, 2005. Addition of free high definition television programming by Shaw Communications Inc.; Decision of Avis Rent-a-Car Inc. to equip the Hummer H3 sport utility wagons with DirecTV Inc. direct-broadcast satellite...
- HD Online? Well, Sort Of. Spangler, Todd // Multichannel News;6/4/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 23, p6
The article reports on the high-definition television programs that are planned for launch by ABC.com in the U.S. in early July 2007. The online television programs are expected to be highly-compressed versions that are, however, not comparable to high-definition television offered by satellite...
- Panel View :'Bet the House' on HDTV. Stump, Matt // Multichannel News;6/30/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 26, p21
HDTV will benefit cable operators in their fight against direct-broadcast satellite (DBS), a panel of cable programmers and MSOs concluded at a Cable& Telecommunications Association for Marketing Rocky Mountain chapter event held at Comcast Corp.'s Media Center June 25. Compared with DBS...
- Sensing Angst Behind the Confidence. Stump, Matt // Multichannel News;12/1/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 48, p3A
Uncovers the challenges faced by cable operators in the U.S. in 2004. Price dispute with digital subscriber lin providers; Competition posed by direct broadcast satellite operators; Market outlook for high definition television.