- KIWI QUOTA. // Variety;12/15/2003, Vol. 393 Issue 5, pA1
Presents statistics on the New Zealand motion picture industry as of December 2003. Median annual income; Total box office revenue; Total cinema screens; Home video retail revenue.
- DVDPLAY: DVD THRIVING. Gruenwedel, Erik // Home Media Magazine;1/20/2008, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p32
The article reports that the DVD industry will continue to thrive despite increased competition from cable video-on-demand (VOD) and the Internet, according to the forecast of rental kiosk operator DVDPlay. The company reported its 13 millionth movie rental and completion of an installed base of...
- Quick-release DVDs threaten theaters. // Marketing News;9/15/2005, Vol. 39 Issue 15, p48
Reports on the proposal to release films in theaters and on DVD simultaneously, as of September 2005. Incident that led to the proposal; Impact on movie theaters; Various comments from industry experts.
- IN FOCUS. // Film Journal International;Aug2003, Vol. 106 Issue 8, p4
Presents news briefs on the motion picture industry in the U.S. as of August 2003. Annual global losses suffered by the movie business due to film piracy; Contribution of the video business to the revenue of the film industry; Details on the opening of a replica of the Harkins Theatres in Arizona.
- Home video rises to top in Italy. Bennett, Ray; Pryor, Peter // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;2/3/2004, Vol. 382 Issue 21, p66
For the first time in Italy, annual revenue from DVD and VHS sales and rentals has exceeded that from the theatrical boxoffice. DVD and VHS revenues for 2003 totaled â‚¬707 million, compared with the boxoffice figure for the year of â‚¬627 million, according to figures released by the...
- LURE OF HOME THEATRE. // Film Journal International;Mar2004, Vol. 107 Issue 3, p4
Focuses on the impact of home theater systems on the movie theater businesses. Reasons cited for the rise in the sales of home theaters; Impact of DVD and VHS release of films; Suggestions to theater operators and studios.
- Study: Day-date threatens exhibs. Kemp, Stuart // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;3/13/2007, Vol. 398 Issue 35, p4
The article states that according to a study compiled by several business schools, if films in the U.S. are released simultaneously in theaters, on rental DVD and on VOD while maintaining a three-month retail DVD window, theater operators will see a 40% decline in revenue. The study also shows...
- Iger loosens old windows. Johnson, Ted // Variety;1/23/2006, Vol. 401 Issue 10, p5
The article focuses on the statement issued by Robert Iger on the distribution of motion pictures in theaters and DVD in the U.S. In 2005, when Iger suggested the window between a film's theatrical release and its DVD debut be closed, it sent exhibitors into a panic. Iger predicts major studios...
- THE 'PREMIUM' VOD BATTLE IS REAL are you engaged? FITHIAN, JOHN // Boxoffice;Jun2011, Vol. 147 Issue 6, p6
The article presents the author's views on the potential collapse of the theatrical release window and its impact on the film industry. He says that four studios launched a video-on-demand (VOD) model in the U.S. in April 2011. However, he says that these tests have not included big successes at...