Turning Up Telephone
- Stringing the last mile. Tamanna // Telecom Asia;Mar2001, Vol. 12 Issue 3, p11
Reports the competition of installing cables to provide Net access into households in India. List of the top five players in the market; Number of subscribers to cable services; Idea of unleashing bandwidth.
- CHARTER MOVES FAST. Haugsted, Linda; Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;3/25/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 12, p1
Reports the termination of cable-modem fee payments in the cable operation services of Charter Communications Inc. Suspension of cable franchise fees; Influence of the regulation set by the United States Federal Communication Commission; Restructuring of franchise policies.
- Charter goes its own way in St. Louis County. Corrigan, Don // St. Louis Journalism Review;Mar2000, Vol. 30 Issue 224, p8
Presents Charter Communications' stand on the battle over open access to cable in Saint Louis, Missouri. Charter's task of rewiring Saint Louis County via cable; Charter spokesman, Davis Niswonger's disclosure that the firm is depending on the decision on the issue of Saint Louis officials and...
- Cable launch set for June 2009. // Wire Journal International;Oct2008, Vol. 41 Issue 10, p32
The article focuses on the launching of the fiber optic undersea cable to connect east Africa to Europe and Asia in June 2009. The actual relaying of the 1.28 terabits undersea cables for the Sea Cable System (SEACOM) will be set on October 2008, then the final splicing and cable sections...
- Cable Contests (Another) Bid to Increase Pole Fees. Eggerton, John // Multichannel News;10/5/2009, Vol. 30 Issue 37, p18
The article discusses the contention of the American Cable Association (ACA) against the petition of power utilities companies to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to increase the pole-attachment fees. A group of power utility companies asked FCC to make cable operators pay the telecom...
- 11th-hour deal averts Golf Channel blackout. // Golf World;4/13/2007, Vol. 60 Issue 33, p23
This article describes a deal that was worked out between Charter Communications and Comcast that allowed cable TV customers access to the Golf Channel during the Masters Golf Tournament. Comcast had threatened to blackout the Golf Channel if Charter had gone through with plans to move two...
- At press time. // Electronic Media;05/03/99, Vol. 18 Issue 18, p1
Reports developments in the television industry in the United States as of May 1999. Includes subscription rate hike by ESPN; Revelation of the WIS-TV source; Supreme Court order on the turn over of unbroadcast video of riots at Michigan State University.
- Getting through to MDUs. Brown, Karen // CED;Oct2005, Vol. 31 Issue 10, p28
Focuses on the challenges met by cable operators on multi dwelling unit (MDU) service for multi-family segment in the U.S. Importance of MDUs business for cable operators; Launching of Internet Protocol video services by telecommunication providers; Service agreements between MDUs and building...
- DirecTV adds foursomes, forecasts and more. Scully, Sean // Broadcasting & Cable;11/22/93, Vol. 123 Issue 47, p28
Announces participating channels in Hughes' DirecTv direct-broadcasting satellite's programming roster. Distribution of medical-programming Physicians Television Network; Moves by competitor United States Satellite Broadcasting (USSB).