DirecTV Targets HD; Dish Promotes DVRs
- More Networks Jump Into The High-Definition Fray. Reynolds, Mike // Multichannel News;5/14/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 20, p23
The article reports on the growth of high-definition (HD) format among television stations in the U.S. The History Channel HD will take its first public step into the enhanced format when the 24-hour service bows with direct-broadcast satellite provider DirectTV. Meanwhile, EchoStar...
- EchoStar Unveils HDTV Product Bundle At CEDIA Expo. Tarr, Greg // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;9/15/2003, Vol. 18 Issue 19, p20
Reports on a package of high-definition TV (HDTV) sets and decoder boxes from EchoStar. Prices of EchoStar direct-view CRT HDTV monitor; Features of the DISH Player-DVR 921 HDTV decoder and digital video recorder.
- DirecTv bows HDTV for Thomson set owners. Tarr // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;08/09/99, Vol. 14 Issue 18, p1
Reports that DirecTV Inc. has launched a high-definition television (HDTV) service and resumed the disconnection of unqualified subscribers from its distant network television services in the United States. Subscribers capable of using DirecTV's HDTV service; HDTV set required to access the...
- DirecTV Adds Third HD Channel: Showtime. Tarr, Greg // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;5/13/2002, Vol. 17 Issue 11, p31
Reports the launching of high definition television channel on the DBS platform by DirecTV Inc. in El Segundo, California. Date on the first transmission of the channel; Use of orbital slot for the transmission; Requirement for the channel subscription.
- High Definition Will Remain Key to Satellite Success. Schaeffler, Jimmy // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;12/23/2002, Vol. 17 Issue 29, p68
Comments on the importance of high definition televisions (HDTV) services for consumer electronics industry. HDTV service channels offered by DirecTV Inc.; Plans of EchoStar Inc. related to developments in the field of HDTV services; Several consumer services offered by DirecTV and EchoStar.
- SATELLITE SERVICES. Moss, Linda // Multichannel News;1/8/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 2, p19
The article focuses on the video-on-demand offerings proposed by broadcast satellite services providers DirecTV Inc. and Echostar Communications Corp.'s Dish Network to compete with cable television providers in the U.S. DirecTV has proposed to launch its video-on-demand download service called...
- HDTV: I'LL PAY ANYTHING? Swain, Phillip // Television Week;6/2/2003, Vol. 22 Issue 22, p16
Discusses high-definition television (HDTV) service in the U.S. Plan of satellite television service providers DirecTV and EchoStar to launch a package of HDTV channels; Cost of the HDTV package; Implication of HDTV subscription for cable and satellite television operators.
- DirecTV Pushes HDTV, DVR For New Subs. Tarr, Greg // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;10/13/2003, Vol. 18 Issue 21, p4
Reports on the plan of DirecTV to use high definition television services and digital video recorders as key tools in acquiring subscribers from digital cable operators and in retaining subscribers it has already enlisted. Services offered by DirecTV; Statement issued by Hughes CEO Jack Shaw;...
- DIGITAL COMPETITION. // Broadcasting & Cable;06/18/2001, Vol. 131 Issue 26, p6
Cites the National Association of Broadcasters' reaction to news that EchoStar is considering carrying a national high definition television feed from Raleigh, North Carolina-based Capital Broadcasting's WRAL-DT.