Statewide Franchising Stalls in Penn
- State Franchising. // CableFAX Daily;3/30/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 61, p2
Reports that Kansas is expected to pass a state franchise bill that the state association is supporting. Provision added to the bill which prompted the KA Cable Association to support the bill; Stand of the bill on build-out requirements.
- Yikes: NCTA Bashes Bill It Hasn't Seen Yet. // CableFAX Daily;3/10/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 47, p1
Highlights the reaction of the National Cable and Telecommunication Association (NCTA) to a national franchising bill that has not been introduced by the U.S. House of Commerce as of March 10, 2006. Terms used by Kyle McSlarrow, NCTA president/CEO, to describe the bill; Information on the...
- Renewing the Battle over TV Service. Goldstein, Scott // njbiz;3/6/2006, Vol. 19 Issue 10, p1
Reports on the move of Verizon Communications Inc. to support a legislation introduced in the New Jersey Senate which will abolish the need for cable TV companies to seek town-by-town franchise approval to hook up customers. Legislators who sponsored the legislation; Information on cable TV...
- Minnesota Ops Fend Off Inside-Wire Bill. Estrella, Joe // Multichannel News;04/23/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 17, p18
Reports that the Minnesota Cable Telecommunications Association in Minnesota has successfully lobbied against the passage of a bill which will allow the competitors of cable television networks to have access to an incumbent's equipment and wiring. Senator Randy Kelly's (DFL-St.Paul) authorship...
- Bill Pushes Transition To Digital TV. Takaki, Millie // SHOOT;9/27/2002, Vol. 43 Issue 38, p1
Reports that a draft of a bill circulated by leaders of the U.S. House Energy and Commerce Committee Republican from Los Angeles W.J. Tauzin and a Democrat from Michigan John Dingell proposes to force broadcasters to stop sending conventional analog Television signals by December 31, 2006....
- Consumer Groups Urge Rate Regs. Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;1/13/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p2
Reports on plans of consumer groups to advocate for the passage of federal legislation designed to regulate cable television pricing and packaging. Plans for the examination of cable rates by the Senate Commerce Committee chairman John McCain; Alternatives provided by Consumer Union's senior...
- Tenn. Ops Back Overbuild Bills. // Multichannel News;5/21/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 21, p14
Focuses on the legislative bills of local cable systems in Nashville, Tennessee. Requirement of public utilities to submit plans to a referendum; Importance of municipally owned power companies and rural electric companies in the state; Launching of a telecommunication service by Fayetteville...
- Dereg still on slow track. Albiniak, Paige; McConnell, Bill // Broadcasting & Cable;7/23/2001, Vol. 131 Issue 31, p5
Focuses on the delay of the bill on cable-ownership caps by the FCC in the United States. Ability of the commission to loosen ownership rules; Opposition of the newspaper companies on the bill; Changes in the media-ownership rules.
- Carolina No-Call Bill Riles Operations. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;9/9/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 36, p40
Focuses on the joined forces of cable operators and publishers to fight a no-call bill in North Carolina. Controversy of the bill; Provisions of the bill; Impact of the bill on cable industry.