Mich. Restarts Stalled Bill
- In the States:. // CableFAX Daily;4/6/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 66, p2
Presents news briefs on issues related to cable television in the U.S. as of April 6, 2006. Decision of Comcast to launch its digital phone in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in April; Introduction of a statewide franchising bill by a lawmaker in California.
- Hoosier Loser. // CableFAX Daily;3/2/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 41, p1
Focuses on the video-franchising bill passed by the state legislature in Indiana. Implications of the bill for cable operators in the state; Problem associated with the bill; Provision of the bill on phone companies in the state.
- Utah Bill Creates Hurdles for Munis. Estrella, Joe // Multichannel News;03/19/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 12, p18
Reports the passing of the House Bill 149, regulating the franchise terms granted to a municipally owned network in Utah. Discouragement of localities from competing as cable retailers; Denial of using proceeds to bankroll municipally owned telecommunications network; Protection of taxpayers'...
- Bill Pushes Transition To Digital TV. Takaki, Millie // SHOOT;9/27/2002, Vol. 43 Issue 38, p1
Reports that a draft of a bill circulated by leaders of the U.S. House Energy and Commerce Committee Republican from Los Angeles W.J. Tauzin and a Democrat from Michigan John Dingell proposes to force broadcasters to stop sending conventional analog Television signals by December 31, 2006....
- Consumer Groups Urge Rate Regs. Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;1/13/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p2
Reports on plans of consumer groups to advocate for the passage of federal legislation designed to regulate cable television pricing and packaging. Plans for the examination of cable rates by the Senate Commerce Committee chairman John McCain; Alternatives provided by Consumer Union's senior...
- Tenn. Ops Back Overbuild Bills. // Multichannel News;5/21/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 21, p14
Focuses on the legislative bills of local cable systems in Nashville, Tennessee. Requirement of public utilities to submit plans to a referendum; Importance of municipally owned power companies and rural electric companies in the state; Launching of a telecommunication service by Fayetteville...
- Dereg still on slow track. Albiniak, Paige; McConnell, Bill // Broadcasting & Cable;7/23/2001, Vol. 131 Issue 31, p5
Focuses on the delay of the bill on cable-ownership caps by the FCC in the United States. Ability of the commission to loosen ownership rules; Opposition of the newspaper companies on the bill; Changes in the media-ownership rules.
- Carolina No-Call Bill Riles Operations. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;9/9/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 36, p40
Focuses on the joined forces of cable operators and publishers to fight a no-call bill in North Carolina. Controversy of the bill; Provisions of the bill; Impact of the bill on cable industry.
- Franchise Matters: National Bill Not Likely This Year; State Bills Keep Moving. // CableFAX Daily;3/14/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 49, p1
Reports on a proposed national video franchising bill in the U.S. Options of local regulators regarding the bill according to Mike Bracy, a lobbyist with Bracy, Tucker, Brown & Valenzano; Background on the development of video franchising bills in New Jersey and Kansas that would benefit...