News Corp.: Lift Limits
- FCC review to delay News-DirecTV pact. Crabtree, Susan // Daily Variety;10/13/2003, Vol. 281 Issue 6, p10
Reports that the U.S. Federal Communications Commission has delayed the approval of the acquisition deal between News Corp. and DirecTV Inc. in the U.S. Cost of the deal; Reason for the delay of the approval; Importance of the FCC approval.
- Merger Conditioned on "Baseball" Arbitration. // Dispute Resolution Journal;Feb-Apr2004, Vol. 59 Issue 1, p5
The article reports on the decision of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to require News Corp. to use baseball arbitration to resolve disputes with local satellite and cable companies regarding the terms and conditions of its acquisition of DirecTV in February 2004. In this type...
- EchoStar complains to FCC about Big Ten. Dempsey, John // Daily Variety;7/24/2007, Vol. 296 Issue 16, p17
The article reports that EchoStar filed a complaint with the United States Federal Communications Commission claiming that the Big Ten Network is price gouging. According to EchoStar, its competitor DirecTV is part of News Corp. which owns 49 percent stake in the Big Ten Network. The Big Ten...
- FCC letter spells out News/DirecTV issues. Crabtree, Susan; Amdur, Meredith // Daily Variety;7/10/2003, Vol. 280 Issue 4, p6
Presents an update on the merger of DirecTV and News Corp. as of July 10, 2003. U.S. Federal Communications Commission's request for more information from News Corp. on how it will safeguard the independence of DirecTV if the merger goes through; Criteria for the selection of independent directors.
- BREAKINGâ€¦. // Broadcasting & Cable;12/22/2003, Vol. 133 Issue 51, p2
Reports on the difficulty of U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) commissioners to decide with regard to the approval that will be given to the bid of News Corp. to control DirectTV. Efforts of FCC Chairman to settle the issue; Reasons for the decision of Commissioner Jonathan Adelstein...
- DirecTV merger nears approval. Boliek, Brooks // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;11/18/2003, Vol. 381 Issue 18, p8
In an indication that the FCC is getting closer to approving News Corp.'s $6.6 billion merger with DirecTV Inc., the commission notified these companies Monday that it has restarted its merger review clock, as of November 18, 2003. The merger review clock is a mechanism the commission uses to...
- Access Issues Stall DirecTV. Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;10/22/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 42, p8
The article reports on the television program-access issues which are holding up the Federal Communication Commission review of the $11 billion deal in the U.S. In the review, John Malone of Liberty Media Corp. would claim the 38.5% ownership stake of News Corporation in DirecTV Inc. According...
- N.D. TV Stations Scuffle With DirecTV. Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;8/27/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 34, p24
The article reports that the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is reviewing the agreement in which John Malone's Liberty Media will swap its 19 percent voting stake in News Corp. for cash and that company's 38.5 percent interest in DirecTV. The deal is expected to close in 2007. The FCC...
- FCC putting holiday wrap on DirecTV merger deal. Goldsmith, Jill // Daily Variety;12/4/2003, Vol. 281 Issue 43, p6
Reports on the decision of the Federal Communications Commission in the merger deal between News Corp. and DirecTV. Terms and conditions given by the FCC; Impact of the move on the cable industry; Response of the consumers to the decision.