DirecTV 'Power' Play?
- Ahead of the Pack. Karrfalt, Wayne // Multichannel News;10/28/2002 Supplement, Vol. 23, p32B
Focuses on the pace set by direct broadcasting services (DBS) companies in the competitive markets of the U.S. Cable Industry to win subscribers for Latino pay tiers. Growth of the Hispanic satellite subscriptions in the U.S.; Approach to the Hispanic marketplace changed by DBS company DirecTV...
- THROUGH THE WIRE. Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;6/11/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 24, p10
Reports developments on cable services industry in the United States as of June 2001. Move of Echostar Communications Corp. Chairman Charlie Ergen in bidding for DirectTV Inc.; Highlights of the CAB Local Cable Sales Conference in Salt lake City; Details of the meeting between Ecore Media Group...
- Nets: Schwinner's Tough But Reasonable. Hogan, Monica // Multichannel News;5/6/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 18, p6
Reports the effect of the merger between EchoStar Communication Corp. with DirecTV Inc. on Dish Network in the U.S. Responsibility of programming executive Michael Schwimmer; Increase in the number of subscribers of the Dish Network company; Reduction on the subscription cost of EchoStar.
- Playing Doctor:. // CableFAX Daily;9/18/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 180, p1
The article offers information on assets in cable television companies. Speculations on the plan of executive John Malone for his stake in News Corp. are cited. Rich Greenfield suggests Liberty and News Corp. to complete a transaction in 2007 as tax laws could change. Shares of several companies...
- Malone's global grab. Guyon, Janet // Fortune;2/18/2002, Vol. 145 Issue 4, p98
Focuses on John Malone and his attempts to create an international cable company. Description of his programming company, Liberty Media; Details of Malone's business strategy; Assets which Malone has amassed; Success of Liberty Media; Analysis of the global cable industry; Background of...
- John Malone making his way in Europe. Mermigas, Diane // Electronic Media;03/05/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 10, p3
Focuses on the moves made by John Malone's Liberty Media Group in its bid to acquire a major stake in systems serving millions of cable television subscribers in Europe. Speculations on Malone's plans for the global repositioning of his multi-billion dollar program and distribution holding...
- UGC sells Megapo. // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;6/17/2003, Vol. 379 Issue 6, p89
UnitedGlobalCom Inc., controlled by John Malone's Liberty Media Corp., said that it has sold its 90.3% interest in Megapo Comunicaciones de Mexico, its Mexican cable operations, to a unit of cable firm Cablemas SA de CV The company said the transaction was valued at about $60 million.
- Street plugs into cable as EchoStar deal dies. Oppelaar, Justin // Daily Variety;10/14/2002, Vol. 277 Issue 6, p8
Reports the impact of the rejection on the merger of EchoStar and DirecTV by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission on cable industry. Enthusiasm of cable investors to the decision; Benefits of the rejection to the shares of cable operators; Increase of shares for the affected cable operators.
- The Importance of Being Earnest. Mundy, Alicia // Cable World (10427228);1/20/2003, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p12
Discusses the importance for cable operators of being earnest in lobbying before U.S. legislators. Reason for the failure of Charlie Egen in lobbying for the merger of EchoStar Communications and DirecTV; Tips on lobbying; Pitfall of selecting a lobby shop. INSET: WHO'S WHO AMONG D.C. LAWYERS...