Bye, Bye iPod. Hello, Handheld Live TV
- AT&T Hangs Up on $110 Mil. Friedman, Wayne // Television Week;8/9/2004, Vol. 23 Issue 32, p1
Reports on the impact of the cancellation of upfront advertising commitments by AT&T on television (TV) network sales in the U.S. in August 2004. Total estimated loss of the TV networks due to the cancellation; Reason behind the the decision of the company to cancel advertising commitments;...
- Union Gets Into Ex-TCI Systems. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;7/2/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 27, p12
The Communications Workers of America has forged some inroads among workers at AT&T Corp.'s cable systems, unionizing 16 operations the company purchased from Tele Communications Inc. (TCI). TCI had aggressively opposed unionization, and some of that opposition has persisted under AT&T...
- What prevents cable TV from taking off in Brazil? Reis // Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media;Summer99, Vol. 43 Issue 3, p399
Probes the reason preventing cable television from taking off in Brazil. Pervasiveness of broadcast television in Brazil; Discussion of telecommunications policies; Overview of Brazilian broadcast TV's programming; Brazilian's reluctance to adopt emerging technologies.
- SAMPLING OF TECH TERMS FROM EMERGING TECH '04. Ellis, Leslie // Multichannel News;1/26/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p36
Discusses technology terms from the 2004 Emerging Technologies conference of the Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers in the U.S. All-digital cable network; Midsplit cable bandwidth; Advanced Television Systems Committee Cable Applications Platform.
- Betcha Beatty never got one. Gibbons // Multichannel News;11/8/99, Vol. 20 Issue 46, p6
Reports on developments concerning the television broadcasting and telecommunications industries, as of November 8, 1999. Includes the open-access fight between AT&T Corp. and the city of Portland, Oregon; EchoStar Communications' opposition to draft legislation that would curtail the company's...
- A new take on PPV. Mandese, Joe // Advertising Age;5/6/1991, Vol. 62 Issue 19, p3
Reports on a joint venture among the companies AT&T Co., US West Inc. and cable television operator Tele-Communications Inc. aimed to equip households in the operator's Denver cable system with viewer controlled television (VCTV). Implication for penetration and use of pay-per-view; Access of...
- THE AIR. Arlen, Michael J. // New Yorker;10/21/1967, Vol. 43 Issue 35, p173
The article focuses on the accessibility of American mass media and journalism in South Vietnam. Television film, still photographs and words pervade Saigon. The installation of the new cable made phone conversations easier, current and clearer between local bureaus and U.S.-based news...
- MPEG monitoring: Analyzing transport streams. Kucera, Dennis // World Broadcast Engineering;Mar2001, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p743
Reports on the level of monitoring and analysis capability needed to detect and diagnose system layer problems as digital television services are adopted worldwide. Requirements that exceed MPEG-2 transport streams; Type and description of each system layer problem in digital television.
- Cable MSOs prepare for triple play services. Fuller, Meghan // Lightwave;Nov2005, Vol. 22 Issue 11, p39
The article reports that traditional telephone carriers and the cable multiple systems operators (MSO) in the U.S. are squaring off in an attempt to wrest customers away from each other. Both are entering the triple play arena, the MSOs through the addition of voice services and the...