Going HD with local newscasts
- MEMO TO LOCAL NEWS DIRECTORS RE: IMPROVING THE PRODUCT. Katz, Jon // Columbia Journalism Review;May/Jun1990, Vol. 29 Issue 1, p40
The article looks at the future of local broadcasting companies as they struggle to compete with global media companies and presents several approaches in improving the quality of their programming to be at par with the rest of the broadcast industry. It suggests that local TV stations should...
- BRIEFLY NOTED. // Electronic Media;12/10/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 50, p3
Reports developments in the broadcasting industry in the United States as of December 2001. Authorization of the operation of news and traffic aircraft by the Federal Aviation Administration; Perception of women on the major Sunday newsmaker shows; Effort of the National Basketball Association...
- Taking ENG HD. Suptic, Spring // Broadcast Engineering;Sep2007, Vol. 49 Issue 9, p36
The article presents information on High Definition (HD) electronic news gathering system. It discusses that the news fleet of WLS television in Chicago, Illinois includes eight digital trucks, an HD helicopter and nine microwave sites that are digital-capable. The HD-ready trucks must manage...
- Hearst Knows Value of Political Coverage. // Television Week;4/3/2006, Vol. 25 Issue 14, p12
The article reports on the decision of Hearst-Argyle to devote a minimum of 10 minutes of time each weekday on its local TV stations in the U.S. to coverage of political news. It asserts that when a station covers political discourse and does it well, it is encouraging a discussion of a subject...
- Meaning of ratings is in the eye of the beholder. Frohlichstein, Tripp // St. Louis Journalism Review;Jul2007, Vol. 37 Issue 297, p16
This article examines the Nielsen television ratings for news programs in the St. Louis, Missouri, area. KTVI was the leader in the 5:30-6:30am time slot, while KMOV won the midday news slot and was very competitive in the 10pm time period. The author feels that for the first time in decades,...
- It's (Mostly) Sunny In San Diego. Malone, Michael // Broadcasting & Cable;8/18/2014, Vol. 144 Issue 31, p21
The article provides updates on local news stations in Southern California as of August 18, 2014. Topics discussed include a 30-minute news special in August 2014 about the history of KFMB news/talk radio station, the plan of KNSD television (TV) station to transfer into a new facility outside...
- Station Break. Trigoboff, Dan // Broadcasting & Cable;12/10/2001, Vol. 131 Issue 51, p30
Reports developments on broadcasting industry in the United States. Appointment of Roger Bell as news director of KCBS-TV; Decision of the trial judge to the reporters and jurors in a murder case; Media coverage on anthrax.
- Local TV news risks making itself useless. Alridge, Ron // Electronic Media;10/05/98, Vol. 17 Issue 41, p22
Opinion. Comments on the role of local television news in broadcasting in the United States. Falling importance of local television news; Threat of satellite television on the broadcasting industry; Contention that crime stories are often blown out of proportion on the local news.
- ASBU exchanges newsroom. // TVB Europe;Oct2001, Vol. 10 Issue 10, p66
Reports on the changes implemented in the newsroom system of the Arab State Broadcasting Union. Equipment ordered from Grass Valley; Satellite channels that it leases; Features of the Grass Valley Digital News Production solution.