- Stocks end month on positive note. // Indianapolis Business Journal;9/5/2011, Vol. 32 Issue 27, p24A
The article reports on the volatile month for the stock market in the U.S. closing August 31, 2011, wherein the Dow Jones industrial average has increased to 53 points.
- 'Hash crash' further erodes confidence in US market -- report. Migone, Paloma // Ai Trade News;2013, p101
Market confidence has been dwindling since the 'flash crash,' but a new report shows the recent Twitter fiasco that sent markets on a free fall last month had relatively little impact on participants' outlook.
- Program Trading: Fixing The Mess. WILLIAM J. O'NEIL // Investors Business Daily;4/22/2014, pA13
The article reports on program trading in the U.S. It mentions the Black Monday event on October 19, 1987 wherein the Dow Jones industrial average fell by 508 points exhausting 22.6% of wealth in the stock market. It also notes controversy on the type of securities trading in spite of reforms...
- WALL ST./FINANCE. // MondayMorning;8/4/2008, Vol. 16 Issue 30, p3
The article reports on the performance of the U.S. stock market during 2008. Investors traded cautiously due to a massive quarterly loss at General Motors Corp. and rising oil prices. Dow Jones industrial average rose or fell by triple digits each day in response to economic data. For the 352...
- FAST, LOOSE, AND OUT OF CONTROL. Philips, Matthew // Newsweek;6/7/2010, Vol. 155 Issue 23, p42
The article discusses stock market volatility. During the period of March 2009 to April 2010 the stock market was largely steady and consistent, due in part to a slow but steady economic recovery. News of Europe's growing debt crisis in April 2010 caused the Dow Jones to become increasingly...
- Stocks Lower In Volatile Session; Energy Names Outperform. KEN SHREVE // Investors Business Daily;4/11/2014, p00
Volatility was alive and well early Friday afternoon as major averages went from sharp losses to mostly unchanged to modest losses.
- Risk appetite, carry trade and exchange rates. Liu, Ming-Hua; Margaritis, Dimitris; Tourani-Rad, Alireza // Global Finance Journal;Apr2012, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p48
Abstract: Using exchange rate data from four different countries (time zones), we examine the relationship between the Yen exchange rate against major currencies (i.e. USD/JPY, EUR/JPY, GBP/JPY, AUD/JPY and NZD/JPY) and measures of risk appetite (i.e. the S&P500 index, Dow Jones Industrial...
- Momentum names clobbered. // Dow Theory Forecasts;3/31/2014, Vol. 70 Issue 13, p3
The author discusses the stock market performance in the U.S. Topics discussed include the strong performance of Dow Jones Industrial Index, reconfirmation of the trend under Dow Theory, and the plan of U.S. Federal Reserve to increase short-term rates. Also mentioned are end of bond-buying...
- Nagging concerns put chill on US Stock Market's rise. Halverson, Guy // Christian Science Monitor;1/27/97, Vol. 89 Issue 42, p8
Presents information on the United States Stock Market at the closing of January, 1997. Details on the Dow Jones industrial average; Comments from editor of the periodical, `The Outlook,' Arnold Kaufman; Similarities between concerns expressed by United States Federal Reserve chairman, Alan...