Culture Can Prevent Firehouse Explosions
- A Night at the Firehouse. // Scholastic News -- Edition 2;Oct2007, Vol. 64 Issue 2, p1
The article discusses the activities of fire fighters at the firehouse at night.
- Standing Tall. Madden, Michael // Golf World;6/7/2002, Vol. 55 Issue 45, p68
Focuses on the Highrise Golf Club wherein members are firemen from the firehouse on 8th Avenue and 48th Street in Manhattan, New York City. Genesis of the club; Number of calls received by the firehouse for assistance; Rules of the Highrise golf course; Memorial established at the firehouse for...
- The career/volunteer relationship. Sullivan, Thomas M. // Fire Engineering;May97, Vol. 150 Issue 5, p11
Addresses the addition of full-time firefighters to all-volunteer departments. Ways to make a formed combination department work; Changing dynamics of the fire service; How the volunteer system can be maintained; How the problems arises in the volunteer departments; Suggested policies and...
- Fighting fires once took real horsepower. FOX, JIM // West County Journal;1/16/2013, Vol. 49 Issue 3, pA6
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience of watching firemen and visiting firehouses during his youth.
- Firefighters honour Arizona fallen. DOLSKI, MEGAN // Eastern Door;7/5/2013, Vol. 22 Issue 26, p18
The article focuses on honouring the firefighters of the Prescott fire department by the Kahnawake Fire Brigade by displaying a memorial message outside the fire station in the memory of those who lost their lives while trying to deal with wild fire outside the small town of Yarnell in Arizona.
- FLU SHOTS IN THE FIREHOUSE. COHN, JONATHAN // New Republic;2/11/2013, Vol. 244 Issue 1, p19
The article looks at a proposal to create health clinics in fire stations as of 2013, noting that fire incidence has fallen and that most firefighters have been trained in basic medical care, and citing experiments with the idea in Oakland, California, and Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- Firefighters Helping Other Firefighters. Allen, Mark; Gruening, Ron // Minnesota Fire Chief;Jul/Aug2007, Vol. 43 Issue 6, p12
The article describes the result of the International Fire Relief Mission led by the authors to the Romanian section of a town in the city of Chisinau, Moldova. They visited a local fire station, and were told by local fire fighters that the most common cause of fire in Moldova is electrical...
- FIRE STATIONS VULNERABLE IN HURRICANE WINDS. Quaderer, David R. // Fire Engineering;Nov2004, Vol. 157 Issue 11, p88
This article discusses various issues related to fire stations of Florida that were vulnerable in hurricane winds, with specific reference to Hurricane Charley that came in Charlotte County, Florida. The article author visited Charlotte County Station 12. As Hurricane Charley made landfall in...
- Dangerous impact on residents, businesses if fire stations are closed, manpower cut. Finkelstein, Ed // Southern Illinois Labor Tribune;6/14/2012, Vol. 75 Issue 45, p1
The article comments on the impact of the decision of closure of fire stations and reduction of manpower taken by the government of Mayor Francis Slay in Illinois, on the residents and businesses in Saint Louis, Illinois. According to Ned Pettus, president of the Metropolitan Fire Chiefs...