- Italian earthquake. Paola, Alessandro // Crisis Response Journal;Jun2009, Vol. 5 Issue 3, p16
The article describes the emergency response efforts of the National Fire Brigade during the earthquake in Abruzzo, Italy on April 6, 2009. The author cites that the agency played a vital role among all civil defense agencies in emergency management through the help of the Operational Committee...
- Searching a high-rise building for trapped victims. Dunn, Vincent // Fire Engineering;May96, Vol. 149 Issue 5, p22
Offers advice for firefighters on how to search for trapped victims at a high-rise building. Case of a young woman who was trapped in a high-rise fire; Two methods of searching for trapped victims; Giving search assignments to rescuers.
- Search and rescue in single-family dwellings, part 1. Gustin, Bill // Fire Engineering;Aug98, Vol. 151 Issue 8, p73
Part I. Presents the factors firefighters must consider in engaging search and rescue operations. Includes the planning of a search in accordance with a size-up and an on-going risk-benefit analysis that weighs the risk in saving a life; Ventilation; Use of positive pressure ventilation; Good...
- SEARCH: THE ONE-KNOT/TWO-KNOT METHOD. Lavin, Patrick J. // Fire Engineering;Apr2002, Vol. 155 Issue 4, p18
Focuses on the nature of search and rescue work in an occupied structure in fire. Responsibilities of a fire fighter; Proper equipment for work; Composition of a fire search team.
- MORE AGGRESSIVE SEARCHES: MORE LIVES SAVED? Pressler, Bob // Fire Engineering;Apr2002, Vol. 155 Issue 4, p71
Describes several types of fire rescue operations. Characteristics of a passive type of fire fighter search; Performance of an active search; Conduction of the aggressive search type.
- Firefighters pull woman from Missouri River. // St. Charles Journal;1/11/2012, Vol. 47 Issue 2, pA5
The article reports that Saint Charles firefighters pulled a woman from the waters of the Missouri River on January 4, 2012 after she jumped from the deck of the Blanchette Memorial Bridge.
- SEARCHING SMARTER, PART 3: ADVANCED ORIENTED SEARCH. Coleman, John F. (Skip) // Fire Engineering;Apr2001, Vol. 154 Issue 4, p113
Part III. Deals with search situation methods that should be practiced by United States fire fighters. Use of a hoseline in conducting a search in commercial occupancies; Concerns related to the use of a search rope; Effectiveness of the oriented method in large residential apartment buildings.
- Tianjin mourning. A. P. // Australian Financial Review (0404-2018);8/19/2015, p12
The article reports on the mourning ceremony by Chinese firefighters, police and officials for victims of huge explosions at a warehouse in Tianjin, China.
- Robots recognise road to recovery. Wagner, Siobhan // Engineer (00137758);9/6/2010, Vol. 295 Issue 7801, p12
The article offers information on the software algorithm of Erwin Prassler and Ivan Bratko that takes data from the sensors of a robot to track the changing environment of disaster scenarios and rescue victims and survivors of an earthquake.