Gun control overview
- California lawmakers target assault weapons. Van Siambrouck, Paul // Christian Science Monitor;4/1/98, Vol. 90 Issue 87, p3
Reports on the efforts of California lawmakers to tighten control of assault-style weapons in 1998. Details of legislation being voted on by the state Senate; History of legislation affecting gun control in the United States; Flaws in past bills.
- Moving Target. Cox, Ana Marie // Mother Jones;Jul/Aug99, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p26
Reports on Governor Paul Celluci's signing of the Massachusetts Gun Control Act into law last July, 1999. Ban on several assault and cheaply-made weapons; Trigger-lock requirement; Reactions of gun advocates.
- STATESTATS. // State Legislatures;May2000, Vol. 26 Issue 5, p7
Features statistics on legislative bills, legislation and laws on firearms in the United States (US). Registration and licenses for firearms in the US states; Laws on license to carry a concealed weapons in the US; Laws that limit access to guns in the US.
- An assault on gun control. // America;4/29/1995, Vol. 172 Issue 15, p3
Editorial. Comments on the legislation introduced by a group of House Republicans which is aimed at repealing the provision banning assault weapons. Backing of Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole; Possible plot to reverse the Brady Law; Statistics from 1979 to 1991 on gunshot victims;...
- Time to Assault Assault Weapons. Chauvin Jr., L. Stanley // ABA Journal;May90, Vol. 76 Issue 5, p8
Calls on the regulation of the manufacturing, sale and use of assault weapons in the United States. Purpose for the supply and demand for assault weapons; Second Amendment rationale on the use of assault weapons; History on federal laws on guns.
- Michigan loosens gun law. // State Government News;Feb2001, Vol. 44 Issue 2, p9
Focuses on the concealed-weapons permit under rules signed into law by Michigan Governor John Engler. Requirements for applicants of the concealed-weapons permit; Number of people allowed to carry concealed weapons in Michigan as of February 2001.
- YOUR LETTERS. Roche, David; Snyder, Harry // Athens News;4/4/2013, p6
Two letters to the editor are presented commenting on the handling of nuisance parties by the leaders of Athens City, Ohio and the U.S. gun laws.
- Your Second Amendment rights can make us all much safer. Corcon, David // Commercial Construction Magazine;May/Jun2009, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p136
The author emphasizes the right of every U.S. citizen to bear arms for protection. He relates a story about a local citizen who stopped a bank robbery to highlight the benefit of allowing ordinary citizens to carry guns in banks. He outlines some of the factors motivating some people to carry...
- Subpart C--Firearms. // Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms Quarterly Bulletin;06/16/97-09/15/97, Vol. 3, p1
Focuses on the definitions for the categories of persons prohibited from receiving firearms in United States. Information on the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act and its interim provision and the Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968; Persons prohibited from shipping or transporting any firearm and...