Strike drives freight rates higher
- Europe-Asia moves up. Viswanathan, Prema // Asian Chemical News;2/24/2004, Vol. 9 Issue 390, p22
Presents an update on chemical shipping rates as of February 2004. Rate of shipped cargoes of easy chemicals from South Korea/Japan to Southeast Asia; Shipping rates from U.S. to/from Asia; Chemical shipping rates.
- Limited space constrains movement. Brice, Andy // ICIS Chemical Business;4/16/2007, Vol. 2 Issue 62, p36
This article provides information on the global chemical shipping activity. A strike in the Fos-Lavera oil and gas terminal impacted the Mediterranean, even after it was called off 17 days later. Icy conditions in the Baltic restricted movement during February and March. North Sea business...
- Drybulk Chemical Shippers Struggle with Ocean Freight Rate Hikes. Morris, Gregory D. L. // Chemical Week;4/21/2004, Vol. 166 Issue 13, p12
Reports on the impact of the increase in ocean freight rates on makers and users of drybulk chemicals as of April 21, 2004. Overview of the Baltic Exchange's Baltic Dry Index from January-April 2004; Factors contributing to the rate hike; Reason for a less serious impact of rate hike on the...
- Deep Sea Shipping Rates Show Signs of Weakening. Milmo, Sean // Chemical Market Reporter;1/24/2005, Vol. 267 Issue 4, p6
Reports that international deep sea shipping rates have declined during the last few months of 2004, raising hopes in the European chemical industry that a sharp rise in freight charges may have peaked. Decrease may be short-lived for chemical companies; Tightening in the supply-demand balance...
- Water: Briefs. // Traffic World;06/29/98, Vol. 254 Issue 13, p43
Presents information on several news about water transportation industry. Purpose of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union for holding a rally at the Port of Oakland on June 24, 1998; Overview of the plans of the OSI Proyectos to develop a port in Costa Rica; Factors that caused the...
- HONESTY IN BILLING: IT'S THE LAW. Barrett, Colin // Journal of Commerce (1542-3867);5/17/2010, Vol. 11 Issue 20, p44
The article answers a question about shippers agreeing with a carrier to an old set of base rates that are applied to freight bills for payment with a substantial discount which the author says is in violation of Title 49 of the U.S. Code (U.S.C.).
- Steamship Lines Announce May GRIs. // World Trade: WT100;Jul2014, Vol. 27 Issue 7, p15
The article reports on general rate increases (GRI) announced by ocean carriers for eastbound cargo from the Far East and Indian subcontinents to the U.S. and Canada that are scheduled to take effect on May 1, 2014.
- Concealed Discounts in 'PREPAY & ADD' BILLINGS. Barrett, Colin // Journal of Commerce (1542-3867);9/7/2009, Vol. 10 Issue 35, p68
The article provides an answer to a question about the issue of over-billing for the prepaid freight charges using the undiscounted freight bill.
- Mediterranean Shipping Co. (USA) Inc., www.mscgva.ch. Arena, Nicola // JoC Week;1/7/2002 Annual Review, Vol. 3 Issue 1, p64
Cites ways in which the shipping industry should respond to downward pressure on freight rates caused by a combination of less cargo and increased tonnage in the world. Elimination of all uneconomical, older ships; Shipowners' removal from active service any ships that are not essential to the...