Effective Professional Development for Physical Education Teachers: The Role of Informal, Collaborative Learning
- Using technology in preservice teacher supervision. Sharpe, Tom; Byra, Mark // Physical Educator;Late Winter 97, Vol. 54 Issue 1, p11
The article discusses the technologies used in preservice teaching practices for physical education teachers. Components of the teacher education process; Importance of daily teaching practices; Effects of teaching in student practices; Difficulties of teacher supervision; Instruments for...
- Classroom teachers' responses and feedback efforts during a collaborative practicum for... Kurz-McPherson, Karen A.; Faucette, Nell // Journal of Instructional Psychology;Mar94, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p68
Examines classroom teachers' feedbacks to preservice physical education teachers during a collaborative practicum for the preservice educators. Practicum setting; Collaborative program design; Classroom teachers' participation in providing written feedbacks.
- Current and recommended preparation of physical education... Van Donselaar, Lee; Leslie, David K. // Physical Educator;Early Winter90, Vol. 47 Issue 4, p209
Examines the preparation of physical education teachers in the exercise physiology knowledge base. Subdiscipline that plays a fundamental role in the preparation of physical education teachers; Basic applications of exercise physiology; What the study revealed.
- A descriptive profile of teacher preparation practices in physical education teacher education. Strand, Bradford N. // Physical Educator;Spring92, Vol. 49 Issue 2, p104
Examines some of the common practices that colleges and universities are using in the preparation of physical education teacher education majors. Profile demographics; Coaching preparation; Skill/activity course requirements; Peer teaching; Pre-student teaching; Student teacher supervision.
- Finding more teaching opportunities for physical education teacher education. Poole, Jon R. // Physical Educator;Winter94, Vol. 51 Issue 1, p53
Describes the involvement of undergraduate sports pedagogy majors enrolled in a teaching practicum course and instructors teaching in the Basic Instructional Program (BIP). Peer teaching support; Development of teaching cases; Classroom or action research; Qualitative data collection.
- Thinking beyond the square: The challenge to physical educators in new times. Kirk, David // Quest (00336297);May97, Vol. 49 Issue 2, p182
Opinion. Examines five topics for research pertinent to forming a base of information for program reform in physical education teacher education. Information on Juan-Miguel Fernndez-Balboa's theories on the reform of physical education teacher education; Details on the physical activity field...
- An investigation of the rhythmic awareness of physical education teaching majors. Kovar, Susan K.; Mehrhof, Joella H. // Physical Educator;Late Winter95, Vol. 52 Issue 1, p40
Examines the self-perception of physical education (PE) majors in a teacher preparation program on their ability to move in time to music and their self-consciousness when moving to music. Subjects' tendency to perform well with popular music; Inability of those who were on-beat to identify...
- University/Schools Partnerships in Teacher Education Programs. Carlson, Jane A. K.; Kimpton, Ann; Oswald, Lois; Puglisi, Linda // Physical & Health Education Journal;Summer2007, Vol. 73 Issue 2, p6
Teacher preparation programs vary widely from university to university. At one end of the continuum is the traditional model consisting of an on-campus methods course in isolation of field experience. At the other end is the popular professional development school (PDS) consisting of a...
- "There is no lack of people to go to for support": Policy, Community, and Individual Influences on One Pre-Service Teacher's Knowledge Development. Ingersoll, Casey; Lux Gaudreault, Karen; Jenkins, Jayne // Global Journal of Health & Physical Education Pedagogy;2014, Vol. 3 Issue 1, p30
The purpose of this study was to investigate how one pre-service teacher's knowledge developed across three semesters of early field experience (EFE). Shulman and Shulman's (2004) model of teacher knowledge based on fostering communities of learners (FCL) provided the theoretical framework for...