- Big Boys' Toys. Moniz, Larry // Business News New Jersey;12/12/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 50, p6
Focuses on the manufacturers of model railroads in New Jersey. Background of the industry dating back to the 1930s; Market dominated by the model manufacturer, Atlas.
- 1996 NMRA prize parade. Wilson, Jeff // Model Railroader;Oct96, Vol. 63 Issue 10, p94
Showcases the winning entries for each category in the National Model Railroad Association's contest at its July 14 to 21, 1996 national convention in Long Beach, California. Includes the O scale Midland Ry. 4-2-2; HO scale model of the gas electric car Yerington; Half inch scale Denver & Rio...
- A bridge construction scene in N scale. Kelly, Jim // Model Railroader;Aug98, Vol. 65 Issue 8, p96
Presents a scale Bena, California Ntrak module with the modification showing the Edison Highway and a bridge crossing Caliente Creek. Elaboration on the model plan; Details on building the construction site; Techniques; Materials used.
- Welcome to the Inyo & White Mountain RR. Sipress, Jeffrey G. // Model Railroader;Aug98, Vol. 65 Issue 8, p98
Presents an HO scale layout, the Inyo & White Mountain RR. Elaboration on the design of the railroad model; Details on building the Inyo Line; Techniques; Materials used. INSET: Layout at a glance.
- Tips for assembling resin kits. Strang, Lionel // Model Railroader;Aug98, Vol. 65 Issue 8, p103
Presents techniques on railroad scale modelling with the use of resin kits. Steps in preparation; Details on the construction and painting jobs; Materials needed.
- Help wanted. Koester, Tony // Model Railroader;Aug98, Vol. 65 Issue 8, p109
Ponders on the attitude needed by a novice modeler of railroading. Significance of working with long-time hobbyists; Activities for the hobbyists to gain knowledge; Other points to remember in scale modeling.
- The `dioramist' in model railroading. Visse, Lee Vande // Model Railroader;Aug98, Vol. 65 Issue 8, p113
Presents a dioramist's points of view in model railroading. Information on how he learned the knowledge in the hobby; Scale modeling as a personal thing; Ideas on what hobbyists do; Ways to enjoy the hobby.
- Bridges, tipples, and towns. Koester, Tony // Model Railroader;Oct98, Vol. 65 Issue 10, p76
Part V. Details the railroad scale modeling techniques for building each component of the Coal Fork Extension in Allegheny Midland. Depots and a town; Deck girder bridges; Abutments; Walker coal; Coal tipples; Wheeling steel no. 9; Trammel tipple; Company houses; Freight house at run junction;...
- DL&W watchman's shanty. Russell, Harold W. // Model Railroader;Oct98, Vol. 65 Issue 10, p93
Provides information on a scale model of a watchman's shanty used by the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad in Oxford, New York. Purpose of shanties in railroads; Tips in modelmaking.
- Learning by scratchbuilding. Yungkurth, Chuck // Model Railroader;Oct98, Vol. 65 Issue 10, p119
Advocates scratchbuilding in railroad scale modeling. Why modelers would scratchbuild something like a brass locomotive; Skills that could be gained from scratchbuilding; Sense of accomplishment through the practice.