Love and Sex in a Totalitarian Society: An Exploration of Ha Jin and George Orwell
- The Russian mess. Kaplan, Morton A. // World & I;May95, Vol. 10 Issue 5, p16
Editorial. Advocates for a more involved participation by the United States in the political and economic reforms in Russia. American right to support democracy in Russia; Right to tie economic aid to responsible economic policies; Need to work with the democratically elected president Boris...
- Doubleplus Unromantic. SKWIRE, SARAH // Freeman: Ideas on Liberty;Apr2014, Vol. 64 Issue 3, p34
No abstract available.
- An Orwellian reading of our anti-terror legislation. Glyn, Justin // Eureka Street;Jun2015, Vol. 25 Issue 12, p54
No abstract available.
- Waiting. Wang, Calvin // Teen Ink;Jan2007, Vol. 18 Issue 5, p45
The article reviews the book "Waiting," by Ha Jin.
- ENIGMAS OF POWER. Howe, Irving // New Republic;12/30/82 Special Year-End Issue, Vol. 187 Issue 27, p27
Reviews the book "1984," by George Orwell.
- The Magic of Words in George Orwell's "Nineteen Eighty-Four". Irimiaş, Eugenia // Lingua (Language & Culture);2012, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p111
The word and the magic of its meaning have constantly obsessed the writer of the twentieth century. For George Orwell, the use of language represented almost "a moral disease" and his strongest conviction was that "without morality language could not function properly." "1984" may be considered...
- Orwell's 1984: The Future Is Here. Goodman, David // Insight on the News;12/31/2001, Vol. 17 Issue 49, p22
Comments on the book '1984,' written by George Orwell in 1948. Purpose of the book's publication; Prediction of Orwell about the rise of a totalitarian society; Several interpretations by critics about '1984'; Link of Orwell with the Fabian Society; Profile of Orwell.
- Winston Smith goes to Washington. // Columbia Journalism Review;Mar/Apr1984, Vol. 22 Issue 6, p20
This article looks at the crude alteration depicted by George Orwell in his book 1984. The principal figure of George Orwell's 1984 is a bureaucrat whose job is to revise back issues of The Times of London that contain what those who run the nation of Oceania consider to be errors. In other...
- The Dangers of an All-Powerful, Totalitarian State. Bauer, Amanda C.; Puchalik, Robert S. // Literary Theme: The Dangers of an All-Powerful, Totalitarian Sta;2006, p1
This essay explores the thematic connections between George Orwell's novel "1984," an expository essay, and a graphic image.