The epidemiology of microscopic colitis: a population based study in Olmsted County, Minnesota
- Endoscopic biopsies. Fiocca, R.; Ceppa, P. // Journal of Clinical Pathology;May2003, Vol. 56 Issue 5, p321
Editorial. Evaluates the use of endoscopic biopsies in diagnosing colitis. Diagnostic reliability of endoscopic biopsies; Overall lower diagnostic accuracy of the method; Reproducibility of the recognition; Possible sources of differences in results.
- Chromoscopy might improve diagnostic accuracy in cancer surveillance for ulcerative colitis. Matsumoto, Takayuki; Nakamura, Shotaro; Jo, Yukihiko; Yao, Takashi; Iida, Mitsuo // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Aug2003, Vol. 98 Issue 8, p1827
: ObjectiveMultiple biopsy has been a recommended procedure for cancer surveillance in patients with ulcerative colitis (UC). The aim of this study was to investigate the accuracy of chromoscopic findings in surveillance for patients with UC.: MethodsDuring the period 1995â€“2002, we...
- Gastral antral biopsy in the differentiation of pediatric colitides. Kundhal, P.S.; Stormon, M.O.; Zachos, M.; Critch, J.N.; Cutz, E.; Griffiths, A.M. // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Mar2003, Vol. 98 Issue 3, p557
: ObjectivesDifferentiation of Crohnâ€™s disease (CD) from ulcerative colitis (UC) is problematic, primarily when inflammation is confined to the colon. In a historical cohort study, we evaluated the usefulness of baseline gastric antral biopsies in the differentiation of pediatric chronic...
- A COLITIS COLLECTION. // Cortlandt Forum;7/25/2001, Vol. 14 Issue 7, p71
Deals with patients with microscopic colitis. Chronic diarrhea; Examination of biopsy specimen; Recommended treatment.
- Acute colitis in a district general hospital. Jones, H.W.; Grogono, J.; Hoare, A.M. // British Medical Journal (Clinical Research Edition);3/14/1987, Vol. 294 Issue 6573, p683
Investigates the epidemiology of acute ulcerative colitis in Great Britain. Decline in the mortality rate due to surgical intervention; Improvement in the prognosis of ulcerative colitis; Implication of the treatment on the outcome of ulcerative colitis.
- Modelling dysplasia detection in ulcerative colitis: clinical implications of surveillance intensity. D Awais // Gut;Nov2009, Vol. 58 Issue 11, p1498
BACKGROUND: Endoscopic surveillance of chronic colitis uses random biopsies to find dysplastic fields. Enhanced endoscopic methods are more sensitive for dysplasia detection, but their specificity for colorectal cancer risk is unknown. AIMS: To develop a mathematical model of the sensitivity of...
- Impairment of mitochondrial acetoacetyl CoA thiolase activity in the colonic mucosa of patients with ulcerative colitis. Santhanam, Srikanth; Venkatraman, Aparna; Ramakrishna, Balakrishnan S. // Gut;Nov2007, Vol. 56 Issue 11, p1543
Background and aims: Butyrate oxidation by colonocytes is impaired in ulcerative colitis. This study examined the activity of enzymes involved in butyrate oxidation in ulcerative colitis. Methods: Activities of mitochondrial acetoacetyl coenzyme A (CoA) thiolase, crotonase and Î²-hydroxy...
- The Role of Endoscopy in Suspected Amebiasis. Blumencranz, Harriet; Kasen, Leonard; Romeu, Jose; Waye, Jerome D.; LeLeiko, Neal S. // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Jan1983, Vol. 78 Issue 1, p15
The diagnosis of amebic colitis can be difficult and confusing. The gross endoscopic appearance as well as the results of endoscopic biopsy can be extremely helpful in differentiating amebiasis from other forms of colitis. Clinical symptoms, laboratory studies, x-ray findings, cultures, and even...
- Lymphocytic colitis: clinical features, treatment, and outcomes. Pardi, Darrell S.; Ramnath, Venktesh R.; Loftus Jr, Edward V.; Tremaine, William J.; Sandborn, William J. // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Nov2002, Vol. 97 Issue 11, p2829
OBJECTIVE:There are no reports of the clinical features or treatment outcomes in large series of patients with lymphocytic colitis, and it is not known whether treatments that appear to be beneficial in patients with collagenous colitis are also beneficial in lymphocytic colitis. We sought to...