Exploring the Utility of Narrative Analysis in Diagnostic Decision Making: Picture-Bound Reference, Elaboration, and Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders
- Effects of prenatal exposure to alcohol across the life span. Connor, Paul D.; Streissguth, Ann P. // Alcohol Health & Research World;1996, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p170
Focuses on readibly diagnosable syndromes of brain dysfunction brought about by high levels of prenatal alcohol exposure. Nomenclature and diagnostic criteria; Effects of alcohol in the brain; Cognitive symptoms associated with prenatal alcohol exposure; Treatment strategies of fetal alcohol...
- Alcohol-Related Birth Defects- The Past, Present, and Future. Warren, Kenneth R.; Foudin, Laurie L. // Alcohol Research & Health;2001, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p153
Traces the development in the fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS) and other alcohol-related birth defects (ARBD). Difficulties involved in determining the prevalence of FAS and ARBD; Risk factors of FAS and ARBD; Assistance given to people born with FAS and ARND. INSET: IOM-RECOMMENDED DIAGONOSTIC...
- Long-lasting care for the child exposed to alcohol in utero. Green, Holly L.; Diaz-Gonzalez de Ferris, Maria E.; Vasquez, Elias; Lau, Elisabet M.; Yusim, Janet // Contemporary Pediatrics;Nov2001, Vol. 18 Issue 11, p72
Focuses on fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS). Diagnostic criteria for FAS; Neurodevelopmental effects of FAS; Recommendations for medical management and follow-up of infants with FAS.
- National Task Force on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and Fetal Alcohol Effect. Weber, Mary Kate; Floyd, R. Louise; Riley, Edward P.; Snider Jr., Dixie E. // MMWR: Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report;9/20/2002 Supplement RR-14, Vol. 51 Issue 37, p9
Discusses the structure and functions of the National Task Force on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and Fetal Alcohol Effect in the U.S. Disorders related to prenatal alcohol exposure; Information on fetal alcohol syndrome; Percentage of women who drink alcohol during pregnancy; Recommendations of the...
- Clinical Linguistic and Auditory Milestone Scale. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p466
A definition of the medical term "Clinical Linguistic and Auditory Milestone Scale," which refers to an office test intended for evaluating language development in children, is presented.
- Accuracy of Online Language Sampling: A Focus on Verbs. Furey, Joan E.; Watkins, Ruth V. // American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology;Nov2002, Vol. 11 Issue 4, p434
This study investigated the accuracy of online language sample data collection. Language samples were collected from 22 preschoolers (11 with language impairments and 11 typically developing) using a semiscripted, play-based sampling procedure designed to elicit 50 target verbs. During each...
- Prenatal exposure to alcohol. Riley, Edward P. // Alcohol Health & Research World;1995, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p273
Reviews magnetic resonance imaging findings that reveal a pattern of structural brain abnormalities in children with fetal alcohol syndrome or prenatal exposure to alcohol. Widespread damage to the corpus callosum, basal ganglia, hippocampus and cerebellum; Overall reduction in brain size;...
- Global Perspectives on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome: Assessing Practices, Policies, and Campaigns in Four English-Speaking Countries. Kyskan, Christina E.; Moore, Timothy E. // Canadian Psychology;Aug2005, Vol. 46 Issue 3, p153
Maternal alcohol consumption during pregnancy places the fetus at risk for a number of neurological abnormalities and functional impairments. These deficits are 100% preventable by abstaining from alcohol use during pregnancy. Nevertheless, the worldwide prevalence of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome...
- Blair warns of foetal alcohol syndrome. // Drugs & Alcohol Today;Nov2004, Vol. 4 Issue 3, p10
Relates the public advisory issued by British Prime Minister Tony Blair on the linkage between alcohol consumption during pregnancy with fetal damage. Suggestion of the National Organization on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.