THOUGHTS ON THE BUSINESS OF LIFE
- People in the news. // U.S. News & World Report;08/31/98, Vol. 125 Issue 8, p10
Offers news briefs concerning famous people for August 31, 1998. A daguerreotype believed to be the first likeness of Abraham Lincoln; The award presented to David Kaczynski for turning in his brother Ted, the Unabomber; Missing pages from Anne Frank's diary surfacing in the Netherlands; Media...
- `I laugh, because I must not cry.' Lavine, Carolyn Liberat // Cobblestone;May94, Vol. 15 Issue 5, p27
Discusses the role that humor played in the life of Abraham Lincoln. Examples of his self-deprecating humor; How he used humor to cope with stress.
- The land of Lincoln. Holzer, Harold // Historic Traveler;Apr98, Vol. 4 Issue 4, p56
Offers a look on the life of Abraham Lincoln in Springfield, Illinois. How Lincoln started his life in the city; Contributions of Lincoln to the field of law; How the Lincoln family established properties to commemorate his contributions to the state; Descriptions of the Lincoln's residence in...
- HALF-COCKED: AN ARCHAEOLOGICAL PERSPECTIVE OF FRONTIER-ERA FLINTLOCK FIREARMS IN RURAL WEST CENTRAL ILLINOIS. Hickson, Robert N.; Nolan, David J. // Illinois Antiquity;Sep2009, Vol. 44 Issue 3/4, p33
The article describes the history of the flintlock firearms, a common and essential implement of the pioneers and frontiersmen of west central Illinois. Based on available archaeological findings, a detailed description of the components and the ammunitions, known as round lead balls, used for...
- Lincoln, Foe of Bigotry. MURPHY, D. I. // America;2/11/1928, Vol. 38 Issue 18, p432
The author reflects upon the large number of literary works on former U.S. President Abraham Lincoln. The author appreciates the ten volume book "Life of Lincoln," and comments that most of the writers focused on Lincoln's domestic life in their works. The author states that none of Lincoln's...
- Putting a face on The Burden of War. Kunhardt III, Philip B.; Kunhardt, Peter W.; ^Kunhardt Jr., Peter W. // America's Civil War;Jan2010, Vol. 22 Issue 6, p48
Excerpts from the book "Lincoln, Life-Size," by Philip B. Kurnhardt III, Peter W. Kurnhardt and Peter W. Kurnhardt Jr. are presented.
- The echo of his laughter. Parshall, Gerald // U.S. News & World Report;10/5/92, Vol. 113 Issue 13, p74
Claims that Abraham Lincoln joked more than any president before or since and did it at a time when statesmen were expected to be as solemn as churchwardens. Why Lincoln used jokes; Reciting his stories.
- Abraham Lincoln: A Life. Harris, William C. // North Carolina Historical Review;Oct2009, Vol. 86 Issue 4, p460
The article reviews the book "Abraham Lincoln: A Life" by Michael Burlingame.
- A Scandal Life of Lincoln. // America;11/3/1928, Vol. 40 Issue 4, p77
The article presents the reaction on the alleged scandal life of Abraham Lincoln found in Beveridge's volumes. Warning is given to those who might be lured by the attempt to scandalize Lincoln"s life. A description of him in this light is presented along with what he truly was. The reason for...