Switching B/Ds and the Law of Unintended Consequences
- The Hot Job of Financial Planning&hellip. // Journal of Financial Planning;Feb1998, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p16
Comments on the article featured in "U.S. News & World Report" about financial planning. Popularity of the career in financial planning; Demand for financial planners in the banking, brokerage and mutual fund fields; Failure of the magazine to mention designations or licenses.
- Trading Places. McGee, Suzanne // Financial Planning;Sep2008, Vol. 38 Issue 9, p59
The article discusses the move of planners, investment advisors, and other wealth managers to change firms in the U.S. It is noted that for many advisors, switching firms or launching their own shop can be dangerous, since clients can feel neglected or taken for granted. In addition, if the...
- PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE. Salmen, Richard // Journal of Financial Planning;Jul2009 Solutions, p4
In this article the author discusses the efforts made by the Financial Planning Association (FPA) to assist financial planners in financial planning practice in the U.S. He primarily considers the significant role of the FPA and the financial planners in the lives of their clients amid the...
- 10 years ago in the Profession. // Journal of Financial Planning;Mar2001, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p25
This section provides information on the history of financial planning in the U.S. Legislative hearings on Capitol Hill were dredging up a topic many financial planners would just as soon forget: limited partnerships. Specifically, Congress was looking at what some perceived as abuses in limited...
- Up Front. Borek, Tad; Olsen, John L.; Kulikowski, Laurie; Fine, Jacob // Financial Planning;Jun2003, Vol. 33 Issue 6, p23
Presents an update on issues and topics related to financial planning in the U.S. as of June 1, 2003. Impact of the 2002 across-the-board market decline on financial advisers; Justification for the cost of assets under management fees; Discussion on conservation easements. INSET: INDICATORS.
- THE SKILLS YOU'LL NEED. Korn, Donald Jay // Financial Planning;Apr2005, Vol. 35 Issue 4, p60
Offers advice on the skills to be developed by financial planners in the U.S. Importance of communication skills to financial planning services; Reduction in the duties performed by top managers of financial planning firms; Skills to be developed in dealing with retirees and pre-retirement clients.
- 4 Steps to Make Real Changes. BOWEN JR., JOHN J. // Financial Planning;Aug2013, Vol. 43 Issue 8, p27
The author outlines the steps that financial advisors in the U.S. should take to make real changes and achieve huge success. He cites the importance of big-picture thinking as the first step in strategic planning. He also discusses how advisors should target results, use obstacles for achieving...
- A Peek Inside the RIA Community... // Journal of Financial Planning;Oct2005, Vol. 18 Issue 10, p24
This article focuses on Evolution/Revolution: A Profile of the Investment Advisory Profession, the 2005 report of the Investment Adviser Association and the National Regulatory Services about investment advisers registered with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). SEC-registered...
- FPA Introduces Longevity Program for Members. // Journal of Financial Planning;Sep2006 Supplement, p30
The article reports that the Financial Planning Association has launched a benefit for members entitled the "Longevity Awards Program," which aims to thank members for continued, lifelong membership. All long-term members will receive personalized certificates of membership, with milestone...